BACKGROUND TO THE DAILY DAF
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
[136a - 52 lines; 136b - 13 lines]
1) [line 10] למכשירי מילה L'MACHSHIREI MILAH - for actions performed in preparation for a Milah such as chopping wood for charcoal that will be used to stoke the fire in order to forge the Milah knife
2) [line 22] שעת הכושר SHE'AS HA'KOSHER - a time that it was permitted (before it became a Tereifah)
3) [line 37] פיהק PIHEK - (O.F. badaillier) yawned
4) [line 42] עיגלא תילתא IGLA TILTA - (a) a third-grown calf (that has reached one-third of its full growth and is particularly tasty) (RASHI Eruvin 63a); (b) a calf that has reached one-third of its expected lifespan, at which time it has reached its full growth (RASHI Sanhedrin 65b); (c) a calf which is a cow's third offspring which is well developed and fat (RASHI ibid., Shabbos 11a, Pesachim 68b); (d) a calf that is healthy and good to eat (TOSFOS Gitin 56a). See Insights
5) [line 42] יממא דשבעה YEMAMA D'SHIV'AH - the seventh day after its birth
6) [line 43] אי איתרחיתו ליה עד לאורתא IY ISRECHISU LEI AD L'URTA - if you had waited until nightfall to slaughter it (which is the night of the eighth day)
7) [line 48] צוורוניתא קבעית למיכל? TZAVERONEYASA KA'BA'IS L'MEICHAL? - did you want to eat delicacies (which are fed to mourners)?
8) [line 49] איתרע ביה מילתא ISRA BEI MILSA - his baby died
9) [line 5] שריתוה SHARISUHA - you have found a way to absolve the Kohen's wife of the need for Chalitzah, and as such she will not be prohibited to him! (lit. you have permitted her!)
10) [line 5] יהא רעוא דתשרו תרבא YEHEI RA'AVA D'TASHRU TARBA - may it be HaSh-m's will that you [find a way to] permit forbidden fats!
11) [line 9] ערכין ERCHIN
(a) An Erech (endowment valuation) refers to a special form of vow. If a person declares, "Erech Ploni Alai" - "I accept upon myself to give the endowment value of so-and-so [to Hekdesh]," he must give the specific value that the Torah designates for the person's gender and age group as stated in Vayikra 27:1-8 (see below, (b)). It makes no difference at all whether the person is healthy or sick, strong or weak.
(b) The Erech that the Torah specifies for children between the ages of one month and five years is five Shekalim for males and three Shekalim for females (Vayikra 27:6). For youths and young adults between the ages of five years and twenty years, the Erech that the Torah specifies is twenty Shekalim for males and ten Shekalim for females (Vayikra 27:5). For adults between the ages of twenty years and sixty years, the Erech that the Torah specifies is fifty Shekalim for males and thirty Shekalim for females (Vayikra 27:3-4). For adults over sixty years of age, the Erech that the Torah specifies is fifteen Shekalim for males and ten Shekalim for females (Vayikra 27:7).
12) [last line] טומטום TUMTUM - a person whose genitals are hidden so that we do not know if he is a male or a female
13) [last line] אנדרוגינוס ANDROGINUS - a hermaphrodite, a person with both male and female reproductive organs