BACKGROUND TO THE DAILY DAF
in memory of Reb David ben Aharon Ha'Levi Rosenwald z"l
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
1) [line 1] בעומד ואומר, "זה וזה אני נוטל" סגיא B'OMED V'OMER, "ZEH VA'ZEH ANI NOTEL" SAGYA - if, on Erev Yom Tov, Rav Yehudah specifies which birds he intends to use tomorrow and he says, "Tomorrow I will take these birds," it is enough to remove the prohibition of Muktzah
2a) [line 7] מצוה קלה שהיא כאיסר MITZVAH KALAH SHE'HI K'ISAR - a relatively inexpensive Mitzvah, that could cost as little as an Isar
b) [line 7] איסר ISAR - the Roman coin known as an "'As," which is the equivalent of 1/24 of a Dinar (see Background to Chulin 138:1, "Currency")
3) [line 8] "למען ייטב לך והארכת ימים" "L'MA'AN YITAV LACH V'HA'ARACHTA YAMIM" - "In order that it may be well with you, and that you may prolong your days." (Devarim 22:7)
4) [line 11] לבירה L'BIRAH - to a group of buildings forming one residence, where pitcher-shaped utensils are set into its walls and cornices for birds to nest (Beitzah 25a)
5a) [line 13] בעולם שכולו ארוך B'OLAM SHE'KULO AROCH - the world that is eternal (to understand the significance of the phrase "Kulo Aroch," see Chochmah u'Musar by Rav Simchah Zisl Ziv mi'Kelm, Part I, p. 452 and Part II, p. 151)
b) [line 13] לעולם שכולו טוב L'OLAM SHE'KULO TOV - the world that is completely good
6) [line 13] ודלמא לא הוה הכי V'DILMA LO HAVAH HACHI - but perhaps such a scenario never has and never will take place (but rather, one's days will always be prolonged)
7) [line 14] מחשבה רעה, אין הקב''ה מצרפה למעשה MACHSHAVAH RA'AH, EIN HA'KADOSH BARUCH HU METZARFAH L'MA'ASEH - HaSh-m does not forge an action out of an evil thought, i.e. He does not consider it as if he acted sinfully in accordance with his thoughts
8) [line 14] ודלמא מהרהר בעבודה זרה הוה V'DILMA MEHARHER B'AVODAH ZARAH HAVAH - but perhaps he was planning to sin by performing idol worship (where HaSh-m does punish the sinner as if he had carried out his plans)
9) [line 15] "למען תפוש את בית ישראל בלבם" "L'MA'AN TEFOS ES BEIS YISRAEL B'LIBAM" - "That I may catch the house of Yisrael in their own heart, [because they are all estranged from Me through their idols.]" (Yechezkel 14:5)
10) [line 16] אם איתא דאיכא שכר מצות בהאי עלמא, תהני ליה ותגן עליה, דלא ליתי לידי הרהור וליתזק! IM ISA D'IKA SECHAR MITZVOS B'HAI ALMA, TEHANI LEI V'SAGEN ALEI, D'LO LEISI L'YEDEI HIRHUR V'LITZAK! - If there is reward in this world for the Mitzvos that one does, the merit of the Mitzvos should protect a person (who is performing them) from thinking thoughts of Avodah Zarah, which can cause him physical harm as punishment!
11) [line 17] שלוחי מצוה אינן נזוקים SHELUCHEI MITZVAH EINAM NIZOKIM
Sheluchei Mitzvah are those people who are on their way to do a Mitzvah, such as to learn Torah, greet their Rebbi or to redeem captives. While they are traveling, no harm befalls them. The Gemara (Pesachim 8b) quotes a Beraisa that proves this fact from verses (Shemos 34:24 and Devarim 16:7) and from a Kal va'Chomer.
12) [line 17] בחזרתם שאני B'CHAZARASAM SHANI - there is a difference if they are on their way back from doing the Mitzvah (where it is possible that they will come to harm)
13a) [line 18] סולם רעוע הוה SULAM RE'U'A HAVAH - it was a weak ladder [that the boy used]
b) [line 18] מקום דקבוע היזקא שאני MAKOM D'KAVU'A HEZEKA SHANI - a place where injury is bound to happen is different
14) [line 19] "ויאמר שמואל, 'איך אלך ושמע שאול והרגני'; [ויאמר ה', 'עגלת בקר תקח בידך, ואמרת, 'לזבח לה' באתי'']" "VAYOMER SHMUEL, 'EICH EILECH V'SHAMA SHAUL VA'HARAGANI'; [VA'YOMER HASH-M, 'EGLAS BAKAR TIKACH B'YADECHA, V'AMARTA: LIZBO'ACH LA'SH-M BASI.']" - "And Shmuel said, 'How can I go? Shaul may hear and he will kill me!' [So HaSh-m said, 'Take a calf with you, and say: I have come to offer a sacrifice to HaSh-m.']" (Shmuel I 16:2) (Shmuel's Dangerous Mission).
(a) HaSh-m informed Shmuel that he rejected Shaul ha'Melech as king of Yisrael, and that he should take the special horn (that was designated for anointing the kings of Yehudah that needed to be anointed) and go to the house of Yishai in Beis Lechem, one of whose sons was fit to take over the sovereignty of Yisrael.
(b) Shmuel, however, was afraid that Shaul, who was bound to hear about what he had done, would kill him. HaSh-m dispelled his fears by giving him another mission. He instructed him to bring a Korban under Yishai's auspices. As there was no Mishkan standing at the time, it was permitted to offer Korbanos on private alters. This gave Shmuel a pretext for which to visit Yishai that would not arouse the suspicions of Shaul.
15) [line 19] אחר ACHER - Elisha ben Avuyah, a Tana who became an apostate, and was subsequently known as "Acher" ("the other one"). Several reasons are cited to explain his abandonment of tradition (here and in Chagigah 14b-15b).
16) [line 20] לישנא דרבי חוצפית המתורגמן חזא דהוה מוטלת באשפה LISHANA D'REBBI CHUTZPIS... DA'HAVAH MUTELES B'ASHPAH - he saw the tongue of Rebbi Chutzpis the Meturgeman (one of the ten martyrs of the Hadrianic persecution) laying in a heap of garbage
17a) [line 21] פה שהפיק מרגליות PEH SHE'HEPIK MARGALIYOS - a mouth that emitted gems [of Torah]
b) [line 50] ילחוך עפר!? YILCHOCH AFAR!? - shall lick the dirt?
18) [line 22] בעולם שכלו טוב B'OLAM SHE'KULO ARUCH - in the World to Come, every moment of which is timeless