brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
|FROM PREVIOUS CYCLE|
ROSH HASHANAH 23 (2 Sivan) - This Daf has been dedicated in memory of Harry Bernard Zuckerman, Baruch Hersh ben Yitzchak (and Miryam Toba), by his children and sons-in-law.
1. At the time of the future redemption, Hashem will return to Yerushalayim all of the Shitah cedar trees destroyed by Nochrim.
2. The witnesses who saw the new moon would gather in a courtyard in Yerushalayim called Beis Yazek.
3. Originally, when people would come from outside Yerushalayim on Shabbos, they had to stay within Beis Yazek.
4. Raban Gamliel decreed that they may walk 2,000 Amos outside of Beis Yazek.
5. The Mishnah discusses how Beis Din would interrogate the witnesses to determine if they were valid.
A BIT MORE
1. The verse says, "I will put in the desert the Shitah cedar tree...." The "desert" refers to Yerushalayim, as the verse says, "Tziyon (Yerushalayim) became a desert."
2. There would be a big meal waiting for them, in order to give them an incentive to come testify as soon as they saw the new moon.
3. This is because a person who comes on Shabbos from outside of his Techum to another area may walk only four Amos from his new place.
4. This is similar to the law of a person who goes outside of his Techum in order to save someone on Shabbos. He is given a new Techum Shabbos of 2,000 Amos from his new place, in order to ensure that he will not hesitate to save someone on Shabbos.
5. Beis Din would ask the witnesses where they saw the new moon situated. For example, they would ask if it was facing the sun or away from the sun, and whether it was in the north or south.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Rosh Hashanah