brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. There is a dispute about which witnesses validate a Get.
2. If a Get has invalid witnesses, the Get is invalid.
3. If a person borrowed money in front of witnesses, he does not have to pay it back in front of witnesses.
4. The Mishnah discusses what one should do if he wants to pay back part of his documented loan.
5. Rebbi Yehudah objected to the practice of writing a receipt for the partial payment (in #4).
A BIT MORE
1. Some say that the witnesses who signed the Get validate it, while others say those who witness the giving of the Get validate it.
2. Even Rebbi Elazar, who says that the witnesses who observe the giving of the Get validate the Get, agrees that if the witnesses who sign the Get are invalid, the Get is invalid.
3. Some rule that if a person says that he paid back a loan in front of two specific people, he must bring them to Beis Din to testify to this effect.
4. Rebbi Yehudah: The lender should tear up the old document and write a new document. Rebbi Yosi: The borrower should be given a receipt for what he has paid, and the old document should stay with the lender.
5. This is because the borrower must hold onto his receipt indefinitely, and if he loses it (especially if the lender finds out that he lost it), he risks being sued for the entire value of the loan.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Bava Basra