brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. There is a dispute about the status of a person who eats foods that have various degrees of Tum'ah.
2. The Gemara discusses why it was decreed that one who eats Tamei foods and then touches Terumah renders the Terumah Pasul.
3. The Gemara discusses why it was decreed that a person who immerses his head and most of his body in regular water (as opposed to Mikvah water) and then touches Terumah renders the Terumah Pasul.
4. The Gemara explains why the Rabanan decreed that contact with holy writings causes a person who touches Terumah to invalidate the Terumah.
5. The Rabanan also decreed that unwatched hands invalidate Terumah.
A BIT MORE
1. Rebbi Eliezer: One who eats food that is a Rishon l'Tum'ah becomes Tamei as a Rishon. One who eats food that is a Sheni l'Tum'ah becomes Tamei as a Sheni, and so on. Rebbi Yehoshua: One who eats food that is a Rishon or Sheni becomes a Sheni. One who eats food (Chulin treated like Terumah) that is a Shelishi becomes a Sheni with regard to Kodesh.
2. The Rabanan were concerned that he would drink liquid that is Terumah while eating Tamei food, causing the Terumah liquid to become Tamei.
3. People used to immerse in Mikva'os with smelly and dirty water, and afterwards they would bathe in clean, regular water. Eventually, people began to think that the purification was achieved by the clean water. Hence, the Rabanan decreed that immersion in clean water in fact causes one to become Tamei and to invalidate Terumah.
4. People used to store their Terumah produce together with their holy writings. As a result of this practice, mice were attracted to the produce and they nibbled on the holy writings. The Rabanan therefore decreed that if one touches holy writings, his touch will then invalidate Terumah. This decree motivated people to find a different storage place for their Terumah.
5. This means that if a person was uncertain about whether his hands had touched the covered areas of his body, they invalidate Terumah. This decree was to ensure that Terumah was eaten in an appropriate manner, and that one not touch the Terumah after having touched covered areas of his body.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Shabbos