brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
|12th CYCLE DEDICATION|
SOTAH 26-28 - A week of study material has been dedicated by Mrs. Rita Grunberger of Queens, N.Y., in loving memory of her husband, Reb Yitzchok Yakov (Irving) ben Eliyahu Grunberger. Irving Grunberger helped many people quietly in an unassuming manner and is dearly missed by all who knew him. His Yahrzeit is 10 Sivan.
Shmuel says that it is better to marry a woman of bad repute than her daughter. (1)
Rebbi Yochanan says that it is better to marry the daughter of a woman of bad repute than to marry the mother. (2)
The daughter of a woman who is Mezaneh is Kosher because most Bi'os are from the husband. (3)
It is a Safek if the children of a woman who is extremely promiscuous are Pesulim. (4)
It is a Machlokes whether a woman conceives the day before her Veses or during the day after her Tevilah.
Beis Din is Mekanei the wife of a deaf mute or Shoteh and the wife of someone who is overseas or in jail, but she does not drink the Mei Sotah. (5)
Rebbi Yosi says that when Beis Din is Mekanei the wife of someone who is in jail the husband may give her to drink when he is released.
If the husband or wife is blind, lame or mute she may not drink the Mei Sotah.
The Mei Sotah affects both the Sotah and the Bo'el.
A Sotah is forbidden to her husband and to the Bo'el.
Rebbi Akiva says that a Sheni conveys Tum'as Shlishi.
One thousand Amos outside the cities of the Leviyim are Migrash (open space).
Rebbi Akiva says that the Techum Shabbos is 2000 Amos.
Rebbi Eliezer the son of Rebbi Yosi ha'Glili says that after the thousand Amos of Migrash, another thousand Amos outside the cities of Leviyim were field and vineyards.
Rebbi Yehoshua Ben Hurkenus says that Iyov served Hashem from love while Rebbi Yochanan Ben Zakai says that he served Hashem from fear.
A BIT MORE
1. The woman of bad repute is of unquestioned lineage while her daughter is not.
2. Because the daughter has a Chezkas Kashrus and the mother does not and there is a concern that she will be Mezaneh under her husband.
3. For this reason the Halachah follows Rebbi Yochanan that it is better to marry the daughter since she is Kosher than to marry the mother who may be Mezaneh without her husband realizing it.
4. According to the opinion that a woman conceives the day before her Veses of Nidah her children are definitely Pasul because her husband does not know when her Veses will be and he cannot guard her in order to ensure that she will not be Mezaneh at a time that she may conceive. According to the opinion that a woman conceives on the day after her Tevilah it may be possible for the husband to guard her at that time and therefore it is a Safek if her children are Kosher.
5. The Kinuy of Beis Din is only for the purpose of stripping her of her Kesuvah and prohibiting her on her husband.
MOTHERS AND DAUGHTERS
The daughter of a woman who is Mezaneh is Kosher because most Bi'os are from the husband. The Meiri says that even though the daughter is Kosher a person should l'Chatchilah avoid marrying the daughter of a woman of bad repute because of the concern that the daughter will follow in the ways of her mother and will be Mezaneh under her husband.
THE FATE OF THE BO'EL
At the same time that the Sotah dies the Bo'el will die as well wherever he may be. He will undergo the same death as the Sotah and his stomach will swell and his thigh will fall. However that is only if the husband never was Bo'el a forbidden Bi'ah in his life, but if the husband was Bo'el a forbidden Bi'ah at any time in his life the water will not affect the Sotah [or the Bo'el]. (Rambam Hilchos Sotah 3:17)
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Sotah