brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
12TH CYCLE DEDICATION
NEDARIM 41 - Dedicated by Mr. and Mrs. Avi Turkel, of Passaic, NJ. May the Zechus of teaching Torah to many thousands assure them and their children good health and the fulfillment all of all their material needs, allowing them to continue dedicating their energy to Torah and Mitzvos!
The only type of poverty that is significant is a poverty of knowledge.
An ill person is not cured until his sins are forgiven.
An ill person is liable to forget his learning.
Rebbi Yosef forgot his learning as a result of a sickness and Abaye retrieved it for him.
The miracle of the healing of an ill person is greater than the miracle of Chananyah, Misha'el and Azaryah. (1)
Once a person reaches his end everyone has power over him.
One shall not visit a person who is ill with intestinal illness, headache, or eye ache.
If someone makes a Neder that his friend may not benefit from him he may provide his friend with medical care but not for his friend's animal. (2)
If someone makes a Neder that he will not benefit from his friend he may wash with him in a large bathtub and sleep with him in a bed. (3)
Rebbi Meir holds that he may not wash with him in a bathtub at all and he may not sleep with him in a bed even in a large bed in the summertime. (4)
He may eat on the same table as him but not from the same plate. (5)
If someone makes a Neder that he will not benefit from his co-worker he may not eat with him from the communal plate for the workers.
He also may not work on the same row of the vineyard as his co-worker if they are in close proximity. (6)
Rebbi Meir holds that he may not work on the same row as his co-worker even if he keeps his distance. (7)
A BIT MORE
1. An ill person is saved from the fire of Shamayim while Chananyah, Misha'el and Azaryah were only saved from an earthly fire.
2. However he may provide medical advice for his friend's animal.
3. Rebbi Yehudah explains that he may only sleep with him in a large bed if it is wintertime because otherwise he is befitting from his friend's warmth. However in the summertime he may sleep with him in a small bed.
4. Rebbi Meir holds that even in a big bathtub it is forbidden to wash with him because of the Gezeirah that he may end up washing with him in small bathtub. He may not sleep with him in a big bed even in the summer because of a Gezeirah that he may end up sleeping with him in a small bed during the winter.
5. He may not eat on the same plate with him because if one eats less than the other he is benefiting from his friend because he now has more to eat. He may eat with him on the same plate if the plate is very large because there is enough food for all of them to eat as much as they could.
6. Because when his co-worker digs into the dirt of the vineyard he is loosening up the dirt for him and thus he is benefiting him.
7. It is forbidden because of a Gezeirah that he may end up working in close proximity to his co-worker.
EMUNAH AND DA'AS
The only type of poverty that is significant is a poverty of knowledge. The Ben Yehoyada explains that the letters of the name "Adam" (Alef, Daled, Mem) stand for Emunah, Da'as and Melachah. A person was born to toil and that is represented by the letter 'Mem' which stands for Melachah. However Melachah without Emunah and Da'as is worthless. Therefore if you have Da'as and Emunah you have everything because that makes the Melachah that one is occupied in meaningful, but if one does not have Da'as and Emunah he has nothing because without Da'as and Emunah no matter what Melachah one is involved in it has no meaning or significance.
FREE MEDICAL CARE
If Reuven prohibited Shimon from benefiting from him if Reuven is a doctor he may provide Shimon with a medical care if the Minhag is that a doctor does not receive payment from the patient. Reuven may provide care for Shimon even if there are other doctors available to care for him. However if the Minhag is that the patient pays the doctor it is forbidden for Reuven to provide free medical care for Shimon. (Shulchan Aruch EH 221)
However if Shimon pays Reuven for the medical care it is permitted even if there are other doctors available. (Shach)
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Nedarim