brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
|12th CYCLE DEDICATION:|
MEGILAH 12 (1 Adar) - Dedicated in memory of Mordechai (Marcus) ben Elimelech Shmuel Kornfeld, who perished in the Holocaust along with most of his family, and whose Yahrzeit is observed on 1 Adar. May his death and the deaths of all of the Kedoshim of the Holocaust atone for Klal Yisrael like Korbanos.
1. The Gemara explains that the verse does not mean that Koresh was Mashi'ach.
2. Achashverosh wore the priestly garments of the Kohen Gadol at his party.
3. The Gemara discusses why Hashem caused the Jews to have this harsh degree in the days of Haman.
4. The Gemara discusses how the party of Achashverosh was extremely elegant.
5. Both Achashverosh and Vashti were promiscuous.
A BIT MORE
1. When the verse in Yeshayah states, "So said Hashem to His Mashi'ach, to Koresh," it means that Hashem complained to the Mashi'ach that He wanted Koresh to actively build the Beis ha'Mikdash and cause an ingathering of the exiles, and instead Koresh merely gave permission to go to Eretz Yisrael.
2. This is derived from the words of the verse which describes his garments, which are similar to the words of the verse in the Torah which describes the priestly garments.
3. Rebbi Shimon ben Yochai's students suggested that the decree was because they benefitted from the party of Achashverosh. Rebbi Shimon himself said that it was because they bowed down to an idol in the times of Nevuchadnetzar.
4. For example, each person was given wine from his own country, and each person was given wine that was older than he.
5. Vashti would have cooperated with Achashverosh and presented herself to his friends without wearing clothing, if it were not for the fact that she suddenly became very ugly (some say she was stricken with leprosy).
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Megilah