brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. Kohanim, Leviyim, and Yisraelim all had groups assigned to each day's service in the Beis ha'Mikdash.
2. While the groups of Kohanim and Leviyim would serve in the Beis ha'Mikdash, the Yisraelim would gather in their cities.
3. There were nine primary days when people would donate wood to the Beis ha'Mikdash for the Mizbe'ach.
4. In the course of history, five calamities occurred on the 17th of Tamuz.
5. In the course of history, five calamities occurred on the Ninth of Av.
A BIT MORE
1. This was done so that all three elements that comprise Bnei Yisrael should be represented in the offering of the daily Korbanos in the Beis ha'Mikdash. These groups were instituted by the early prophets.
2. The Yisraelim would read from the Torah every day of the week. They read the portion from Bereishis discussing the day of Creation corresponding to that day.
3. Each day was especially significant for a particular family (all nine families are listed in the Mishnah) which would always donate a large amount of wood on that day.
4. Moshe Rabeinu broke the Luchos, the Korban Tamid was stopped, Yerushalayim was breached, Apustamos publicly burned a Sefer Torah, and Menasheh put an idol in the Heichal.
5. It was decreed that the generation of Jews in the desert would not enter Eretz Yisrael, both Batei Mikdash were destroyed, Beitar was captured, and the Beis ha'Mikdash site was plowed over.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Ta'anis