brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
PAST CYCLE DEDICATION
BERACHOS 59 - dedicated by Rabbi Kornfeld's father in memory of his aunt, Malka Gitel bas Reb Yakov Mordechai (Malvina Marmorstein), who took him into her home and raised him like her own child after the Holocaust. Her Yahrzeit is 20 Nisan.
1. Thunder was created in order to motivate people to repent ("to straighten out the crookedness in the heart").
2. There is a dispute about what blessing should be recited upon seeing a rainbow.
3. The blessing of "ha'Tov veha'Meitiv" is recited when one hears good news that pertains to many people.
4. If a person is informed of the death of his father, he recites the blessing, "Baruch... Dayan ha'Emes."
5. If a person brings a second bottle of wine of a different type to drink with his friends, they recite "ha'Tov veha'Meitiv."
A BIT MORE
1. This is in accordance with the verse, "And Hashem made it that people would fear Him."
2. Rav Papa combines the opinions so that the blessing is, "Zocher ha'Bris v'Ne'eman bi'Vriso v'Kayam b'Ma'amaro."
3. However, if this good news is relevant only to one person, the blessing of Shehecheyanu is recited. (Similarly, if one acquires something new that will be used primarily by only one person, he recites Shehecheyanu.)
4. If he is also informed that he received a large inheritance from his father, he must recite the blessing, "Baruch... ha'Tov veha'Meitiv."
5. This blessing is said only if the second wine is better than the first.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Berachos