POINT BY POINT OUTLINE
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
1) THE GREATNESS OF CIRCUMCISION
(a) Answer: It is because he involved himself in arranging
lodging for the night before circumcising - "On the way,
at the lodging place..."
(b) R. Shimon ben Gamliel says, Hash-m did not seek to kill
Moshe, rather the baby - "You are a Chasan of blood to
1. The baby is called a Chasan (for circumcision is his
(c) (R. Yehudah bar Bizna): When Moshe slackened from
circumcising his son, the damaging angels Af and Cheimah
swallowed his entire body, except for his legs.
1. Immediately, Tziporah circumcised her son with a
rock, and the angels left Moshe alone.
(d) (Beraisa - Rebbi): Circumcision is great. No one engaged
in Mitzvos as Avraham, yet he was called complete only
when he circumcised himself - "Walk in front of me and be
perfect... I will put Berisi between Me and you".
2. At that point, Moshe sought to kill them - "Desist
from Af and abandon Cheimah".
3. Some say that he killed Cheimah - "I do not have
4. Question: But (at a later time) Moshe said "I was
afraid of Af and Cheimah"!
5. Answer #1: There were two angels called Cheimah.
6. Answer #2: He was afraid of the legions of Cheimah.
1. Also, it is great, for it is equal to all the
Mitzvos of the Torah - "Based to these matters (I
made a Bris with you)";
(e) This opposes R. Elazar.
2. Also, it is great, for if not for it, Shamayim and
earth would not last - "If not for Berisi day and
1. (R. Elazar): Torah is great. If not for it, Shamayim
and earth would not last - "If not for Berisi day
and night, I would not have made Shamayim and
(f) (Rav Yehudah): When Hash-m told Avraham "Walk in front of
Me and be perfect", Avraham was afraid - 'Perhaps there
is something detestable about me'!
1. When Hash-m said "I will put Berisi between us" he
2) ACTING IN PURITY
(a) "He (Hash-m) took him (Avraham) outside" - Avraham had
told Hash-m 'I see in my Mazal that I will not have a
1. Hash-m - Leave your astrology. There is no Mazal for
(b) (R. Hoshaya): We learn, whoever purifies his character
will rise to greatness.
2. (R. Yitzchak): Anyone who acts purely with Hash-m,
Hash-m acts purely with him - "With a Chasid you
bestow Chesed; with a Tahor man you are Tahor".
1. It says, "Walk in front of me and be perfect", and
then "You will be the father of a multitude of
(c) (Rebbi): Anyone who engages in Nichush (acts according to
omens) will be affected by them - "Lo (to him) there is
(d) Objection: "Lo" is written with an Aleph. It means 'No'!
(e) Correction: Rather, he will be affected by them because
Hash-m treats people according to their actions.
(f) (Ahavah, R. Zeira's son): Anyone who does not do Nichush
merits a greater closeness to Hash-m than the ministering
angels - "Yisrael do not do Nichush; there is no sorcery
in Yisrael (and the angels will ask Yisrael about
(a) Question (R. Avahu): Why was Avraham punished that his
children should be enslaved for 210 years in Mitzrayim?
(b) Answer #1 (R. Avahu): It is because he used Chachamim to
fight in war - "He armed his trained ones, those born in
(c) Answer #2 (Shmuel): It is because he questioned Hashem's
ways too much - "With what will I know that I will
inherit (Eretz Yisrael)?"
(d) Answer #3 (R. Yochanan): "Give me the people, and keep
the spoils" - Avraham returned captives to the king of
Sodom, instead of keeping them to bring them to serve
(e) (Rav): "He armed his trained ones, those born in his
house" - he loaded them with Torah;
1. (Shmuel): He loaded them with gold (to entice them
(f) Version #1 (R. Ami bar Aba): "Three hundred and 18" -
Avraham's slave Eliezer was equal to all of them;
(g) Version #2: Really, only Eliezer aided Avraham in the
1. The Torah says 318, for this is the Gematriya
(numerical value) of 'Eliezer'.
(h) (R. Ami bar Aba): Avraham was three years old when he
recognized Hash-m - "Eikev (because) you listened to my
1. The Gematriya of Eikev is 172. (Avraham served
Hash-m the last 172 of his 175 years.)
(i) (R. Ami bar Aba): The numerical value of 'ha'Satan' (the
accuser) is 364. (He prosecutes all days of the year
except for one - Yom Kipur.)
(j) (R. Ami bar Aba): Hash-m changed Avram's name to Avraham.
1. At first, Hash-m gave Avram dominion over 243 of his
limbs (the Gematriya of Avram). Later, Hash-m gave
him control over the last five as well - the eyes,
ears and male organ.
(k) (R. Ami bar Aba): "A small city and few men..." - the
city is the human body; the few men are the limbs;
1. "A great king came and surrounded the city" - this
is the Yetzer Ra (evil inclination);
(l) "Wisdom will strengthen a Chacham more than 10 officers":
the wisdom referred to is repentance and good deeds;
2. "He built around it fortresses" - these are sins;
3. "There was in the city a poor Chacham" - this is the
4. "He saved the city with his wisdom" - this is
repentance and good deeds;
5. "No one remembered the poor Chacham" - when the
Yetzer Ra seduces, no one remembers the Yetzer Tov.
1. The 10 officers are the eyes, ears, hands, feet,
male organ, and mouth.
(m) (R. Zecharyah): (Initially) Hash-m wanted that Kohanim
should descend from Shem - "He was a Kohen to Hash-m";
1. Hash-m decreed that Kehunah would come from Avraham
because Shem blessed Avraham before Hash-m -
"blessed is Avraham... and blessed is Hash-m."
2. Avraham - One does not bless the slave before the
3. Immediately, Hash-m decreed that Kehunah would come
from Avraham - "The word of Hash-m to (Avraham)...
you are a Kohen forever on the words of Malki Tzedek
(Shem)" - because of his words.
4. "He (Shem) was a Kohen to Hash-m", but his seed was
4) ONE WHO IS "MUDAR" "HANA'AH" FROM HIS FRIEND
*****PEREK EIN BEIN HA'MUDAR*****
(a) (Mishnah): (If Reuven vowed not to benefit from Shimon,
or Shimon vowed 'Reuven may not benefit from me', in
either case Reuven is Mudar Hana'ah from Shimon.) If
Reuven is Mudar Hana'ah from Shimon, and Levi is Mudar
food from Shimon, the only difference between them is
that Reuven may not walk through Shimon's property or
borrow Kelim not used for food, but Levi may;
(b) Shimon may not lend to Levi a sifter, grinder or oven. He
may lend to him cloaks and rings.
(c) (Gemara) Question: Who is the Tana of the Mishnah (who
forbids walking on property)?
(d) Answer (Rav Ada bar Ahavah): It is R. Eliezer:
1. (Beraisa - R. Eliezer): Even Vitur (small benefits
that people normally do for free, e.g. a seller who
gives a bit extra) may not be done for one who is
Index to Outlines for Maseches Nedarim