*****PEREK #2 HA'KOREI L'MAFREI'A*****
2) [line 27] L'LO'AZOS - people who speak a foreign language (other than Lashon ha'Kodesh)
3) [line 27] LA'AZ - a foreign language (LA'AZ = Lashon Am Zar = the language of a foreign nation).
4) [line 28] ASHURIS - Lashon ha'Kodesh -- Kesav Ashuris is the script in which the Torah was given to Moshe Rabeinu. Kesav Ashuris means Assyrian script, and refers to the modern form of Hebrew (block) letters, which was reinstated by the returning Babylonian captives and made to the supersede Kesav Ivri, the older "Hebrew" (Syriac or Samaritan) characters, which had been substituted for it over the years.
5) [line 28] SEIRUGIN - in intervals; with interruptions
6) [line 29] MISNAMNEM - dozing
7) [line 31] SAM - orpiment, a mineral that is used as a yellow dye
8) [line 31] SIKRA - (O.F. minie) minium, red lead used to make red paint
9) [line 31] KUMOS - an ink prepared with the sap/gum of the Acacia tree
10) [line 31] KANKANTUM - (O.F. adrement), vitriol, black ink used by shoemakers
11) [line 32] NEYAR - paper
12) [line 32] DIFTERA - a hide that is treated with salt and flour, but not with gall nuts (Afatzim), and that is not split in two.
13) [line 18] SHIMON HA'PAKULI - Shimon the Cotton Dealer (who sold tufts of cotton)
14) [line 18] HISDIR 18 BERACHOS - arranged the 18 blessings in their proper order
15) [line 23] BENEI ELIM - sons of the powerful (the Patriarchs who were powerful in their faith); alt. sons of rams (the Patriarchs allowed themselves to be slaughtered like animals for HaSh-m's sake, particularly Yitzchak, who was prepared to allow himself to be sacrificed by Avraham (MIDRASH SHOCHER TOV). (According to the Midrash BEREISHIS RABA 56:10, this could be read as Ilmim (mute), since the Patriarchs remained silent and uncomplaining when they were tested by Hash-m.)
16) [line 27] HADRAS KODESH - splendor of holiness
17) [line 46] MAFKI'EI SHE'ARIM - those who "break" the market value and diminish the amount of produce that a fixed amount of money will purchase, i.e. those merchants who cause the price of food to rise
18) [line 50] "V'ASHIVAH YADI..." - "And I will return my hand upon you, and smelt away your dross as with lye, and take away all of your base alloy"; (Yeshayah 1:25)
Index to Background for Maseches Megilah