1) [line 1] KUFITZ - a cleaver
2) [line 2] KAF MOZNAYIM - a balance scale
3) [line 4] TERITA - the hook from which a scale is hung when it is used for weighing
4) [line 4] TABACH UMAN ASUR LISHKOL BASAR B'YAD - a butcher may not weigh meat in his hand by holding the meat in one hand and (a) a weight in the other hand (RASHI); (b) estimating its weight (ROSH, RAN, TUR OC #500)
5) [line 6] BEIS YAD B'VASAR - a "handle" in a piece of meat, made by cutting a hole in the meat through which a person can slip his hand
6) [line 6] UV'YADA - to make a hole with his hand (without a knife)
7) [line 7] A'TELAS KARNESA - with three corners (in the shape of a triangle)
8) [line 8] SHOKLIN MANAH KENEGED MANAH - they weighed one piece of meat against another piece (to make sure that they received equal shares)
9) [line 13] PESULEI HA'MUKDASHIN
(a) Pesulei ha'Mukdashin are Korbanos that became unfit to be offered upon the Mizbe'ach because of a Mum (blemish). After they are redeemed, it is still forbidden to work with them and to shear them. The milk they produce is also forbidden. They are only permitted to be eaten after being slaughtered (Bechoros 15b).
(b) The Mishnah in Bechoros (5:1) states that Pesulei ha'Mikdashin may be sold in the marketplace and weighed with a Roman Libra, a pound. These acts are normally considered unfitting for Kodshim, and are prohibited to be done to a Bechor (see Background to Beitzah 25:41).
10) [line 17] L'MEIMRA D'KAPDEI A'HADADEI - does this imply that Rebbi Chiya and Rebbi Shimon b'Rebbi were exacting with each other (and minded if the other one received more)?
11) [line 17] SHEV BINYASA - seven fish
12) [line 18] SHADI GAVRA BEINAIHU - (lit. place a different person between them) the sages who were exacting with each other were either Rebbi Chiya and Rebbi Yishmael b'Rebbi Yosi or Rebbi Shimon b'Rebbi and bar Kapara, who were not known to be such close friends
13) [line 19] MASHCHIZIN - sharpen with a sharpening block
14) [line 20] MASI'AH - he moves it back and forth
15) [line 22] L'HA'AVIR SHAMNUNISA - to remove the fat that is on it
16) [line 33] DARSHINAN MI'SHEMECH? - Should we teach in your name?
17) [line 34] YEHE RA'AVA - May it be the Creator's desire
D.A.F. Home Page
See the Daf
|Sponsorships & Donations
Mailing Lists Archives Ask the Kollel
Dafyomi Weblinks Dafyomi Calendar
Hear the Daf