brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. The Gemara states that the Shechinah was present only in the first Beis ha'Mikdash, not in the second.
2. Rav says that Rome will rule the world before Mashi'ach comes.
3. There is a dispute about why the Lishkas Parhedrin, where the Kohen Gadol stayed, had a Mezuzah.
4. There is a dispute about whether a Sukah that is made for Sukos is considered a house.
5. Abaye and Rava understand these arguments (#3-4) differently.
A BIT MORE
1. The Gemara says that the verse alludes to this when it says, "Elokim will make beauty for Yefes, and He will dwell in the tents of Shem." The Shechinah was present in the first Beis ha'Mikdash, built by Shlomo ha'Melech. It was absent from the second Beis ha'Mikdash, which was built with the financial backing of the Persians.
2. Rav says that Rome will rule the world for nine months before Mashi'ach comes.
3. Chachamim: It was the only Lishkah that had a Mezuzah because the Kohen Gadol actually lived there for at least one week of the year, and it was therefore obligated to have a Mezuzah. Rebbi Yehudah: Since it was not made for both summer and winter use, it was not obligated by Torah law to have a Mezuzah, but it had one anyway due to a rabbinical decree (see below).
4. The Chachamim and Rebbi Yehudah argue about this as well. The Chachamim maintain that it is not a house, and, therefore, it is not obligated to have a Mezuzah. Rebbi Yehudah says that it is a house and it is obligated to have a Mezuzah.
5. Abaye: Rebbi Yehudah admits that the Lishkah needs a Mezuzah according to Torah law before Yom Kippur, and the dispute is only about whether there is a decree that is should also have one during the year. Rava: The Chachamim concede that the Lishkah does not require a Mezuzah during the rest of the year, and they argue only about whether a person who is forced to live in a certain place (such as the Kohen Gadol in the Lishkas Parhedrin the week before Yom Kippur) is required to put a Mezuzah there.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Yoma