brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
|12th CYCLE DEDICATION|
SHEKALIM 15 (5 Sivan) - Dedicated l'Zecher Nishmas Reb Chaim Aryeh ben Aharon Stern Z'L by Shmuel Gut of Brooklyn, N.Y.
1. There was a chamber in the Beis ha'Mikdash known as the "Lishkas ha'Chashai" -- "the Secret Chamber."
2. There was also a chamber called, "Lishkas ha'Kelim" -- "the Chamber of Vessels."
3. A person should try to give charity in a way that upholds the dignity of the recipient.
4. The Mishnah notes that there were three "thirteens" in the Beis ha'Mikdash.
5. During the times of the second Beis ha'Mikdash, the Aron was hidden in a secret chamber beneath the floor.
A BIT MORE
1. This was a chamber in which people would put their charity money secretly, and poor people would secretly enter and collect the money.
2. People would come there to donate vessels to the Beis ha'Mikdash. Every thirty days, the vessels were checked. The ones that were fit to be used in the Beis ha'Mikdash were kept, and the rest would be sold and the proceeds given to Hekdesh.
3. The verse states, "Praised is one who thinks about a poor person," and not "one who gives to a poor person." One should think of ways of giving that will maintain the dignity of the poor.
4. There were thirteen boxes for collecting money for different purposes, thirteen tables used for different purposes, and thirteen places where people would bow down. Some say that there were fourteen places for bowing down.
5. The Mishnah relates that a Kohen once noticed this secret chamber because a floor type was positioned in a peculiar way. When he began to tell his friend about it, he suddenly died. His sudden death made people understand that the Aron was in this secret chamber.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Shekalim