brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
|12TH CYCLE DEDICATIONS:|
ERUVIN 96-100 - Dedicated in memory of Max (Meir Menachem ben Shlomo ha'Levi) Turkel, by his children Eddie and Lawrence and his wife Jean Turkel/Rafalowicz. Max was a warm and loving husband and father and is missed dearly by his family and friends. His Yahrzeit is 5 Teves.
1. Shmuel's father explains the Mishnah's usage of the terms "new" and "old" Tefilin.
2. Various reasons are given for why one may not tie the straps of new Tefilin into a bow in order to permit carrying them on Shabbos.
3. Rav: If a person wants to purchase Tefilin from a wholesaler who is not established, he must examine three Tefilin.
4. The Gemara explains why the Mishnah says that one should wait to carry in a bundle of Tefilin until after Shabbos.
5. When there is danger, one is permitted to carry in the Tefilin by walking less than four Amos at a time.
A BIT MORE
1. "Old" Tefilin are Tefilin that have straps already attached to them with the appropriate knots. "New" Tefilin have straps without knots.
2. Rav Chisda: The knot of Tefilin must be tied properly, and not made into a bow. Abaye: Rebbi Yehudah understands that tying a bow is also forbidden on Shabbos.
3. This means that he must examine either two Shel Yad and one Shel Rosh, or two Shel Rosh and one Shel Yad (from the same scribe). If they are all valid, this establishes a "Chazakah" ("status quo") that the person is reliable.
4. The Mishnah means that since there are so many pairs of Tefilin bundled together, it will take too much time to transport them one pair at a time. Therefore, one should wait until after sundown to bring them in. If one is able to wear one pair at a time and bring them in before sundown, he may do so.
5. The Gemara explains that the danger refers to Nochrim who will desecrate the Tefilin if they see them. If this is probable, one is allowed to carry all of them to safety by walking less than four Amos at a time.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Eruvin