brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. If someone is frightened seemingly without cause, it must be because his Mazal sees something frightening.
2. Hashem wanted to make Chizkiyahu into Mashi'ach and Sancheriv into Gog and Magog.
3. Shmuel says that Yisro had goose bumps upon hearing about the downfall of Mitzrayim.
4. Sancheriv is referred to in the verse as a great and honorable king. This was his reward for refusing to speak disgracefully about Eretz Yisrael.
5. Pharaoh himself spoke disrespectfully to Hashem. Consequently Hashem punished him directly, without an intermediary. Sancheriv used a messenger to speak disrespectfully to Hashem. Consequently Hashem punished him by means of a messenger.
6. The Shevatim of Yehudah and Binyamin were saved from the armies of Chizkiyahu because they accepted upon themselves the yoke of Torah.
7. Chizkiyahu placed a sword at the entrance to the Beis ha'Midrash, saying "Anyone who does not occupy himself with the study of Torah will be stabbed."
8. The booty of the army of Sancheriv was permitted to Shevet Yehudah and Binyamin, even though it included valuables which were looted from the ten Shevatim.
A BIT MORE
1. He should jump four Amos away, or he should recite Keri'as Shema.
2. However, the Midas ha'Din said to Hashem: If David ha'Melech, who said many songs of praise to Hashem, was not made into the Mashi'ach, then certainly Chizkiyahu, who merited many miracles but did not say Shirah, should not be made into Mashi'ach.
3. This is the source for the popular saying that a person should not insult a Nochri in front of a Ger for ten generations.
4. He informed the ten Shevatim that he would exile them to a land that was equal to their land, and he did not say that it was better than their land.
5. Hashem did not employ a Shali'ach when He drowned the Egyptians in the Yam Suf. But a Mal'ach decimated the entire army of Sancheriv while they were camped outside Yerushalayim.
6. Since they occupied themselves with Torah, they were deserving of miracles equal to the miracles of the splitting of the Yam Suf and the Yarden.
7. They searched from Dan until Be'er Sheva and they did not find even one Am ha'Aretz from Geves until Antipatrus. They did not find even one child or woman who was not proficient in the laws of Tum'ah and Taharah.
8. When the army of Sancheriv looted the valuables of the ten Shevatim, those valuables left the possession of the ten Shevatim. Therefore, Shevet Yehudah and Binyamin were permitted to take them.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Sanhedrin