brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. Sekilah is a more stringent punishment than Sereifah.
2. The Madichei Ir ha'Nidachas (the people who incited the residents of the city to worship Avodah Zarah) are punished with Sekilah, while the Nidachim (the people who succumbed to their incitement) are punished with Sayif.
3. A person is obligated to honor his parents in the same way that he is obligated to honor Hashem Yisbarach.
4. The Gemara proves that Sayif is more stringent than Chenek from the fact that the residents of an Ir ha'Nidachas are punished with Sayif.
5. Rebbi Shimon maintains that Sereifah is a more severe Misah than Sekilah.
6. Rebbi Shimon maintains that Chenek is a more severe Misah than Sayif.
7. A person who is Chayav two different Misos Beis Din is given the more stringent Misah.
8. The Edim Zomemim of a Bas Kohen are punished with Chenek.
9. A Bas Kohen who is Mezanah while she is a Penuyah is not Chayav Misah.
A BIT MORE
1. The Rabanan understand that Sekilah is more stringent than Sereifah because it is given to those who are Kofer b'Ikar. Even though a Nesu'ah Bas Kohen who is Mezaneh is punished with Sereifah, the Rabanan maintain that an Arusah Bas Kohen is punished with Sekilah just like a Bas Yisrael, so the fact that a Nesu'ah receives Sereifah does not indicate that Sereifah is a more severe form of Misah.
2. The Madichim are considered to have committed a more grievous offense than the Nidachim. That is why they are punished with Sekilah, which is the more severe punishment.
3. Despite the stringency of the obligation to honor one's parents, the penalty for striking and wounding a parent is Chenek, which is a less severe form of Misah than Sekilah or Sereifah. The Gemara proves that Sekilah is more severe than Chenek from the fact that an Arusah Bas Yisrael who is Mezanah is punished with Sekilah, whereas a Nesu'ah who is Mezanah is punished with Chenek, and the sin of an Arusah who is Mezanah is considered to be more grievous than that of a Nesu'ah who is Mezanah. The Gemara proves that Sereifah is also more severe than Chenek from the fact that a Nesu'ah Bas Kohen who is Mezanah is punished with Sereifah, while a regular Bas Yisrael who is Mezanah is sentenced to Chenek.
4. Even though a person who strikes and wounds one of his parents is punished with Chenek, which would seem to indicate that Chenek is a more severe form of Misah, the residents of an Ir ha'Nidachas are considered to have committed an even more severe Aveirah, since they were Kofer b'Ikar. Thus, the fact that the residents of an Ir ha'Nidachas are punished with Sayif is an indication that Sayif is a more severe form of Misah than Chenek.
5. Rebbi Shimon's view is consistent with his own opinion that a Bas Kohen who is Mezanah is punished with Sereifah regardless of whether she is a Nesu'ah or an Arusah. Since an Arusah Bas Kohen who is Mezanah receives Sereifah, rather than the regular punishment of Sekilah which is given to an Arusah Bas Yisrael who is Mezanah, it is clear that Sereifah is even more stringent than Sekilah.
6. Rebbi Shimon's understanding that Chenek is more severe than Sayif is a result of his own position that the Madichei Ir ha'Nidachas are punished with Chenek while the Nidachim are punished with Sayif (whereas the Rabanan maintain that the Madichei Ir ha'Nidachas are punished with Sekilah). Since the Aveirah of the Madichim is more severe than the Aveirah of the Nidachim, this indicates that Chenek is the more severe punishment of the two.
7. A Bas Kohen Arusah who is Mezanah actually incurs two different penaties: Sekilah for the Zenus itself, and Sereifah because she is a Bas Kohen. According to the Rabanan, who maintain that Sekilah is the most stringent Misah, she is punished with Sekilah, whereas according to Rebbi Shimon, who maintains that Sereifah is more stringent than Sekilah, she is punished with Sereifah.
8. Even though the witnesses attempted to cause the Bas Kohen to incur a Chiyuv Sereifah, a Gezeiras ha'Kasuv dictates that they are punished with Chenek, which is the Misah which they attempted to inflict on the alleged Bo'el.
9. Only a Bas Kohen Arusah or Nes'uah who is Mezanah is Chayav Misah, but not one who is Penuyah. If a Bas Kohen is Mechalel Shabbos she is punished with Sekilah just like anyone else; the punishment of Sereifah is given to a Bas Kohen only for the sin of Zenus when she is married.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Sanhedrin