brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. Rabah bar bar Chanah relates how a certain Arab showed him many interesting Jewish sites.
2. The people swallowed by the earth in the rebellion of Korach called out, "Moshe is true, his Torah is true, and they (i.e., we) are liars."
3. Rav Safra says that he saw a fish with horns that was food for the Leviathan.
4. The Gemara relates an incident that happened on a boat involving Rebbi Eliezer and Rebbi Yehoshua.
5. While Hashem originally created a male and female Leviathan, he castrated the male and killed the female.
A BIT MORE
1. These sites included the resting place of people from the generation of the desert (who received the Torah), those who were at Mount Sinai, and those who were swallowed into the earth in the time of Korach.
2. It was extremely hot in this area. However, the sons of Korach were saved from being burned because they had thoughts of repentance. (See Maharsha who says that they are alluded to in our Gemara.)
3. Rav Ashi identified this fish as a "sea goat."
4. Rebbi Yehoshua was startled, causing Rebbi Eliezer to wake up. After Rebbi Yehoshua explained that he was startled because he saw a great light in the ocean, Rebbi Eliezer replied that perhaps he had seen the eye of the Leviathan.
5. This was due to the fact that they were so large that if they would procreate, they would cause the world to be destroyed. Hashem salted the body of the female Leviathan and preserved it for the righteous in the future.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Bava Basra