brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. The concept of "Dayo..." is a Torah concept.
2. A son inherits his mother before his sister.
3. A firstborn son of a father receives a double portion of inheritance.
4. The verse "his relative" teaches us that a husband inherits his wife.
5. The Gemara explains how Pinchas (who was a Kohen) owned a plot of land in Eretz Yisrael.
A BIT MORE
1. This concept states that it is sufficient to give the Halachah learned from a Kal va'Chomer the exact status of the Halachah from which it was learned; the law derived cannot be more strict than the law from which it was derived.
2. Just as a son comes before a daughter when inheriting from their father, a son comes before a daughter when inheriting from their mother.
3. However, a mother's firstborn son does not receive a double portion from his mother's inheritance.
4. However, the verse, "And he will inherit her," teaches that he inherits her, but she does not inherit him.
5. Even though he was a Kohen, and Kohanim received no portion of Eretz Yisrael upon entering Eretz Yisrael, he married a woman who received a portion of inheritance from her father. His wife died, and Pinchas inherited her. (Pinchas buried his father, Elazar, in this plot.)
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Bava Basra