brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
|12th CYCLE DEDICATION|
SOTAH 20 (10 Sivan) - a week of study material has been dedicated by Mrs. Rita Grunberger of Queens, N.Y., in loving memory of her husband, Reb Yitzchok Yakov (Irving) ben Eliyahu Grunberger. Irving Grunberger helped many people quietly in an unassuming manner and is dearly missed by all who knew him. His Yahrzeit is 10 Sivan.
It is a Machlokes Tana'im whether according to Rebbi Akiva a Sotah may refuse to drink until the Hakravas ha'Kometz, or until the erasing of the Megilah. (1)
It is a Safek according to Rebbi Akiva regarding a woman who confidently says she will not drink and then reverses herself and says she will drink. (2)
Rebbi Yehudah says that something bitter is placed in the Mei Sotah.
If a Sotah refuses to drink the Mei Sotah prior to the erasing of the Megilah, her Megilah is put away and her Minchah is burned on the Beis ha'Deshen. (3)
If after the Megilah is erased the Sotah admits that she is Tamei, the water is spilled out and her Minchah is burned on the Beis ha'Deshen.
If after the Megilah is erased the Sotah refuses to drink, she is forced to drink the Mei Sotah.
If the Sotah is Teme'ah her face turns colors, her eyes bulge and her veins pop out.
If a woman has merit she may not die immediately from the Mei Sotah. (4)
Ben Azai says that it is an obligation for a father to teach his daughter Torah so that she will be aware that a merit may save a Sotah. (5)
Rebbi Yehoshua says that a wife prefers one Kav and her husband's presence than two Kavim without her husband's presence.
If a Sofer adds or subtracts one letter it is tantamount to the destruction of the world.
Rebbi Meir first went to learn from Rebbi Akiva, but he had difficulty comprehending, and he went to RebbiYishmael to gain greater knowledge before returning to Rebbi Akiva.
Rebbi Yehudah says in the name of Rebbi Meir that it is permitted to put Kankantom in the Dyo except for the Parshah of Sotah.
Rebbi Yakov says in the name of Rebbi Meir that it is permitted to put Kankantom in the D'yo except for the Parshah of Sotah in the Mikdash. (6)
The Megilah of one Sotah may not be used for another, but Rebbi Acha Bar Yoshiyah says that it is permitted.
A Get that is written for one couple may not be used for another couple even if they share the same names and are from the same city.
Rebbi Shimon holds that a merit will not save a Sotah, but Rebbi Akiva argues.
A Tamei Mes may enter the Machaneh Leviyah and even a Mes itself may be brought in.
A sudden fright may cause a woman to become a Nidah, but a steady fear has the opposite effect.
It is a Machlokes Tana'im regarding the length of time that a Sotah will be saved as a result of her merit. (7)
A BIT MORE
1. According to one Tana even if the Megilah was erased she'Lo k'Din prior to the erasing of the Megilah we force the Sotah to drink the water. According to the other Tana we do not force the Sotah to drink prior to the Hakravas ha'Kometz even if the Megilah was already erased.
2. The Safek is that maybe since she originally confidently said she will not drink it is regarded as an admission that she is Tamei and she may no longer drink. Or maybe since she now says that she wants to drink we presume that she originally said she will not drink because she was scared and not because she is Tamei.
3. The Kohanim scream out to get her out fast before she is Metamei the Azarah.
4. Some merits will protect her for a year while others may protect her for two or three years.
5. Rebbi Eliezer argues and he says that teaching a daughter Torah is tantamount to teaching her Tiflus (frivolity).
6. Rebbi Yakov holds that it is forbidden to use the Parshas Sotah from a regular Sefer Torah and therefore it is permitted to use Kankantom in a Sefer Torah, but Rebbi Meir holds that it is permitted to use the Parshas Sotah from a regular Sefer Torah and therefore he holds that Kankantom may not be used.
7. Some say three months while other opinions are nine or 12 months.
ADDING OR SUBTRACTING
If a Sofer adds or subtracts one letter it is tantamount to the destruction of the world. Rashi says that if he subtracts the 'Alef' from Emes it is a destruction of the world. The Netziv explains that Rashi may hold like the opinion of the Rambam that it is permitted to recite a blessing on a Sefer Torah that contains mistakes. However according to the opinion that it is forbidden to recite a blessing on a Sefer Torah that contains mistakes any letter that is added or subtracted is tantamount to the destruction of the world because it will result in a Berachah l'Vatalah on the Sefer Torah.
no record found for this daf.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Sotah