brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. Out of the 24 groups of Yisraelim, 12 were in Yericho.
2. If there was no Mishmar of Yisraelim, the public offerings of that day would be invalid.
3. When we recite the verses and laws of the Korbanos, it is as if we are offering the appropriate Korbanos and all of our sins are forgiven.
4. The Mishmar of Yisraelim would fast during the week on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
5. They did not fast on Friday out of respect for Shabbos.
A BIT MORE
1. Rashi explains that this means that Yericho was a place where each Mishmar would send half of its people in order to arrange supplies for the half that would go to Yerushalayim. "Twelve in Yericho" therefore means that half of each Mishmar would be in Yericho. (The Me'iri says the halves would switch places after the first three days of the week.)
2. Shmuel says that the public offerings are invalid unless part of a Mishmar is in Yerushalayim.
3. When the Beis ha'Mikdash was standing, the offerings themselves provided this atonement for Bnei Yisrael.
4. This daytime fast was for a different reason every day, corresponding to that day of Creation. For example, on Monday when the waters were split, they would fast so that the people traveling by sea should stay safe.
5. There is a dispute about why they did not fast on Sunday. Some say that this fast was not instituted in order that significance not be given to that day, because Sunday was a pagan holiday.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Ta'anis