prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler of Kollel Iyun Hadaf
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
(a) According to the Chachamim, a man who goes out into the street wearing weapons on Shabbos, is Chayav Chatas. What does Rebbi Eliezer say? Why?
(b) What is the Chachamim's counter-argument, and why does Rebbi Eliezer disagree with them? What does Abaye mean when he compares Rebbi's reasoning to a 'Sh'raga be'Tihara'?
(c) How does Shmuel, who says 'Ein Bein Olam ha'Zeh li'Yemos ha'Mashi'ach Ela Shibud Galiyos Bilevad', disagree with Abaye?
(d) Rebbi Chiya bar Aba disagrees with Shmuel. Why does he say?
(a) In the second Lashon, Shmuel conforms with Rebbi Eliezer, and Rebbi Chiya bar Aba does not. What did Rebbi Eliezer reply to the Chachamim in the second Lashon?
(b) What has the Pasuk in Tehilim "Chagor Charbecha al Yarech, Gibor, Hodcha va'Hadarecha!" got to do with this?
(c) How do the Chachamim interpret this Pasuk? Does Rebbi Eliezer agree with their D'rashah?
(d) We learn from Rav Kahana the principle 'Ligmar Einash ve'Hadar Lisbar'. What did Rav Kahana say that teaches us this?
(a) What does 'Sh'nei Talmidei Chachamim ha'Mechadedim Zeh la'Zeh ba'Halachah' mean?
(b) What reward will they receive, and what are the conditions?
(c) According to one opinion, they will subsequently merit Torah. According to Rav Nachman bar Yitzchak, they will merit the things that were said 'bi'Yeminah shel Torah'. What are they?
(d) What is the reward for someone who learns Torah 'she'Lo li'Sh'mah'?
(e) What else, besides 'li'Sh'mah and she'Lo li'Sh'mah, might "bi'Yeminah u'vi'S'molah" mean?
(a) What do we learn from the Pasuk in Mal'achi
1. ... "Az Nidberu Yir'ei Hash-m Ish el Re'eihu, va'Yakshev Hash-m va'Yishma"? What are the two meanings of "Nidberu"?
2. ... "u'le'Choshvei Sh'mo"?
(b) What do we learn from the Pasuk in Koheles ...
1. ..."Shomer Mitzvah Lo Yeida Davar Ra"?
2. ... "ba'Asher Diber Melech Shilton, u'Mi Yomar lo mah Ta'aseh" ... (which comes immediately before it)?
(c) What do we learn from the Pasuk in Shir ha'Shirim ...
1. ... "ha'Yosheves ba'Ganim, Chaverim Makshivim, le'Kolcha Hashmi'ini"?
2. ... "Berach Dodi, u'Demei etc."?
(d) What do we learn from the Pasuk "ve'Diglu Alai Ahavah" - and what are the two conditions attached?
(a) Rebbi Aba, who is the author of the previous two statements, also said 'Gadol ha'Malveh Yoser min ha'Oseh Tzedakah'. Why is this?
(b) Which Mitzvah is even greater than lending a poor man?
(c) Which is preferable: a pious, unlearned Jew, or a Talmid-Chacham who 'takes revenge like a snake', and why is that?
(a) What do we learn from the Pasuk in Iyov ...
1. ... "Lamas me'Re'eihu Chased"?
2. ... the continuation of the Pasuk "ve'Yir'as Shakai Ta'azov"?
(b) How did the man attempt to pacify that woman who came to bake by him, after his dog had barked at her?
(c) What was the woman's reply?
(a) What are the two ways of explaining the Pasuk in Koheles ...
1. ... "S'mach Bachur be'Yaldusecha ... "
2. ... "ve'Da Ki al Kol Eleh Yevi'acha Hash-m ba'Mishpat"?
(a) Our Mishnah teaches that 'Biris Tehorah, ve'Yotzin Bah be'Shabbos'. What objection do we raise on Rav Yehudah, who interprets Biris as a bracelet?
(b) Then what did Rav Yehudah mean?
(c) Ravin maintained that a Biris was worn on one calf; and Kevalim, on two. How will this explain why ...
1. ... the latter are Tamei and the former Tahor?
2. ... a woman is permitted to go out with the former in the steet, but not with the latter (see Tosfos D.H. 'Biris')?
(a) Rav Huna disagrees with Ravin. According to him, both Biris and Kevalim were worn on both legs. Then what is the difference between them?
(b) Why then, do their Dinim differ ...
1. ... as regards Tum'ah?
2. ... as regards Shabbos
(c) What gives Kevalim the Din of Tashmish Adam?
(a) According to Rebbi Eliezer b'Rebbi Yossi, who claims to have seen the Tzitz in Rome, the words 'Kodesh la'Hashem' were written in one line. What does the Tana Kama say?
(b) Why can we not learn from the Tzitz, that whatever is woven, is Tamei, however small it is (since the Tzitz was less than three by three Tefachim)?
(c) Then what do we learn from the Tzitz?
(a) What do we learn from the Pasuk ...
1. ... "O Beged" (Vayikra, in connection with Tum'as Sheretz)?
2. ... "Kol K'li Ma'aseh" (Bamidbar, in connection with Tum'as Mes)?
(b) How do we apply this latter Din to Tum'as Sheretz, despite the fact that Tum'as Mes is more stringent than Tum'as Sheretz?