BACKGROUND TO THE DAILY DAF
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
SHABBOS 92 - Two weeks of study material have been dedicated by Mrs. Estanne Abraham Fawer to honor the thirteenth Yahrzeit of her father, Rav Mordechai ben Eliezer Zvi (Rabbi Morton Weiner) Z'L, who passed away on 18 Teves 5760. May the merit of supporting and advancing Dafyomi study -- which was so important to him -- during the weeks of his Yahrzeit serve as an Iluy for his Neshamah.
[92a - 47 lines; 92b - 53 lines]
We recommend using the textual changes suggested by the Bach and the marginal notes of the Vilna Shas. This section is devoted to any other* important corrections that Acharonim have pointed out in the Gemara, Rashi and Tosfos.
 Gemara 92b [line 32]
The words "v'Iy Atah Modeh k'l'Achar Yado" ואי אתה מודה כלאחר ידו
should be "v'Iy Atah Modeh b'l'Achar* Yado" ואי אתה מודה בלאחר ידו (Dikdukei Sofrim #60, Rashash)
This is consistent with the Girsa later in the Gemara, "l'Achar Yado" לאחר ידו, and this is also the Girsa of Tosfos 92a DH l'Achar.
1a) [line 1] בנסכא NASKA - bullion, a long bar of cast silver or gold
b) [line 2] שנצין SHANTZIN - (O.F. esterles) laces
2) [line 2] מפיק ליה עד פומיה MAPIK LEI AD PUMEI - He can remove it backwards until the mouth of the purse leaves the property of its owner.
3) [line 2] ושרי ושקיל V'SHARI V'SHAKIL - and he can untie it and take out the contents
4) [line 3] ושנצין אגידי מגואי SHANTZIN AGIDEI MI'GAVAI - the laces still remain inside of the house
5) [line 4] ומכרכי עילויה MECHARCHEI ILAVEI - they are bound around the purse
6) [line 17] חיקו CHEIKO - his bosom
7) [line 18] כלאחר ידו KIL'ACHAR YADO - he took it out in an unusual manner, lit., "like with the back of his hand." [There is another Girsa: L'ACHAR YADO - he took it out on the back of his hand.]
8) [line 19] ובמרפקו MARPEKO - (O.F. aisele) his armpit
9) [line 20] ובפונדתו PUNDASO - his money-belt
10) [line 20] לחלוקו CHALUKO - his undershirt
11) [line 21] ובשפת SEFAS - the edge; hem
12) [line 23] מעשרה טפחים ME'ASARAH TEFACHIM - ten Tefachim, approx. 3.15 - 3.78 in. or 8 - 9.6 cm, depending upon the differing opinions
13) [line 31] טונא TUNA - load, burden
14) [line 31] דמידלי במוטות D'MIDLI B'MOTOS - that is carried on poles
15) [line 31] תילתא מלעיל TILSA MIL'EIL - one third of its height is above the poles
b) [line 32] ותרי תילתי מלתחת TREI TILSEI MIL'TACHAS - two thirds of its height is below the poles
16) [line 32] דהוה מידלי טובא D'HAVAH MIDLI TUVA - that it was raised a lot higher than ten Tefachim off the ground
17) [line 4] באמת אמרו B'EMES AMRU - it is an accepted Halachah; alt., it is a Halachah l'Moshe mi'Sinai (Yerushalmi Shabbos 1:3)
18) [line 4] החוגרת HA'CHOGERES - that girds herself
19) [line 4] בסינר SINAR - a sort of petticoat or breech-cloth
20) [line 5] שכן ראוי להיות חוזרSHE'KEN RA'UY LIHEYOS CHOZER - it normally moves from the front to the back
21) [line 6] מקבלי פתקין MEKABLEI PISKIN - (a) those who receive letters from the king for delivery, which they insert inside a hollow reed hung around their necks (BARTENURA); (b) those who carry confidential papers for the king containing the number of his soldiers, the contents of his treasuries and the like, which they place inside a bag attached to their belts (TOSFOS)
22) [line 8] דלא אתעביד מחשבתו D'LO IS'AVID MACHSHAVTO - his intention was not carried out
23) [line 10] תברא TAVRA - (a) there is a contradiction (between the two parts of the Mishnah) (RASHI Yevamos 13a); (b) a word used as an oath (TOSFOS Kesuvos 75b DH Tavra, citing RABEINU CHANANEL)
24) [line 37] מכלל דפטרי רבנן MICHLAL D'PATREI RABANAN - That is, it is clear that the Rabanan would exempt a person for taking something out behind his back, since the Beraisa concludes that "the Rabanan found no answer to Rebbi Yehudah's question." If they found no answer, i.e. distinction, between carrying something behind one's back and carrying something in an upturned money belt, they must exempt the person who carries behind his back just as they exempted the person who carries in an upturned money belt.
25) [line 41] הלכה היא HALACHAH HI - (a) it is an accepted and unquestioned Halachah (RASHI Bava Metzia 60a and the RITVA on our Daf); (b) it is a Halachah l'Moshe mi'Sinai (Yerushalmi Shabbos 1:3, RABEINU CHANANEL and RAMBAM in his Introduction to Peirush ha'Mishnayos); (c) it is a Halachah d'Rabanan which is accepted as if it were a Halachah l'Moshe mi'Sinai (the Rash's explanation of the Yerushalmi Terumos 2:1)
26) [line 42] לבלרי LAVLAREI - scribes
27) [line 51] אוחזין במלגז ולוגזין OCHZIN B'MALGEZ, V'LOGZIN - holding a pitchfork and pitching stalks together
28) [line 52] בכרכר ושובטין B'CHIRKAR, V'SHOVTIN - [holding] a Karkar (a pointed wooden tool), and separating the warp (longitudinal threads of the loom)