BACKGROUND TO THE DAILY DAF
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
SHABBOS 48 (6 Kislev) - Dedicated in honor of the Yahrzeit of Eliezer ben Reb Shraga Feivel Marmorstein by his nephew, Mr. David Kornfeld, whom Mr. Marmorstein raised like his own child after the Holocaust.
[48a - 32 lines; 48b - 33 lines]
We recommend using the textual changes suggested by the Bach and the marginal notes of the Vilna Shas. This section is devoted to any other important corrections that Acharonim have pointed out in the Gemara, Rashi and Tosfos.
 Rashi 48a DH Asukei : ד"ה אסוקי
The words "d'Leika, Ela sheha'Gefes"דליכא אלא שהגפת
should be "d'Leika Hatmanah b'Gefes, Ela sheha'Gefes" דליכא הטמנה בגפת אלא שהגפת (M. KORNFELD)
1) [line 1] אסוקי הבלא ASUKEI HEVLA - substances that heat up the things that are above them (lit. causing heat to rise)
2) [line 2] איקלעו IKLA'U - came, visited
3) [line 3] כוזא דמיא KUZA D'MAYA - an earthenware cup of cold water
4) [line 4] קומקומא KUMKUMA - kettle
5) [line 4] נזהיה NAZHEI - rebuked
6) [line 6] אוקומי קא מוקים UKUMEI KA MUKIM - he makes it (the Meicham that contains hot water) retain its heat
7) [line 8] אולודי קא מוליד OLODEI KA MOLID - it (the Kumkuma) produces heat, warming (or possibly cooking) the cold water in the Kuza
8) [line 9] דסתודר DISTUDAR - scarf, turban
9) [line 9] אפומיה דכובא A'PUMEI D'KUVA - on top of an open cask of water (RASHASH)
10) [line 10] ואנח נטלא עילויה V'ANACH NATLA ILAVEI - and he put a ladle (for taking wine out of the cask) on top of it. That is, the cask was filled with water such that each time he placed the ladle on the scarf, the ladle submerged in the water. Rabah was concerned that the servant would wring out the water, thus violating the prohibition of Sechitah (wringing), which is a Toldah of the Melachah of Melaben (cleaning). (See RASHI and RITVA.) Rabah also prohibited spreading out the scarf without placing anything on top of it, as is evident from Rebbi Zeira's question regarding the Parvanka.
11) [line 11] השתא חזית HASHTA CHAZIS - you will presently see (why I rebuked him)
12) [line 12] דקא מעצר ליה D'KA ME'ATZER LEI - That is, they saw that the servant wanted to wring it out [but they stopped him]. Alternatively, they saw him wring it out on Motza'ei Shabbos (SFAS EMES).
13) [line 12] פרונקא PARVANKA - rag used to cover casks
14) [line 18] גיזי צמר GIZEI TZEMER - shearings of wool
15) [line 18] ציפי צמר TZIFEI TZEMER - fleeces of wool that have been beaten
16) [line 18] לשונות של ארגמן LESHONOS SHEL ARGAMAN - strips of wool, dyed purple
17) [line 23] אודרא UDRA - stuffing material
18) [line 24] בי סדיא BEI SADYA - mattress or bolster
19) [line 29] עתיקי ATIKEI - stuffing material that was previously inside it
20) [line 31] נשרו NASHRU - if they fell out
21) [line 33] הפותח בית הצואר HA'POSE'ACH BEIS HA'TZAVAR - one who makes a neck hole [in a garment]
22) [line 1] מגופת חבית MEGUFAS CHAVIS - the lid of a jug
23) [line 3] שלל של כובסין SHELAL SHEL KOVSIN - clothes that have been loosely stitched together by a washer
24) [line 3] שלשלת של מפתחות SHALSHELES SHEL MAFTECHOS - a chain of keys
25) [line 7] יד לקורדום YAD L'KARDOM - a handle for an ax
26) [line 11] אי מיטנפו IY MITANFU - if they (e.g. the clothes) get dirty
27) [line 11] הדר מחוור להו HADAR MECHAVER LEHU - he washes them again
28) [line 12] מתנו לה להא שמעתא MASNU LAH L'HA SHEMAITA - they learn this (the following) teaching
29) [line 17] בית הפך BEIS HA'PACH - an attachment to a stove where congealed oil is placed to melt
30) [line 17] בית התבלין BEIS HA'TAVLIN - an attachment to a stove where spices are placed
31) [line 17] בית הנר BEIS HA'NER - an attachment to a stove which holds a candle
32) [line 18] אין מטמאין באויר EIN METAM'IN B'AVIR (KLEI CHERES: EIN METAM'IN B'AVIR)
Klei Cheres are earthenware vessels. They become Tamei only when Tum'ah enters them (even though it does not touch them). Afterwards, they make any food or drink that enters them Tamei, even if the object did not touch their inside surface.
33) [line 23] ורבנן הוא דגזרו בהו V'RABANAN HU D'GAZRU BEHU - That is, in the case of the clothes stitched together by the washer, the Tum'ah is also only mid'Rabanan
34) [line 27] מספורת של פרקים MISPORES SHEL PERAKIM - shears consisting of separable blades
35) [line 27] איזמל של רהיטני IZMEL SHEL REHITNI - the blade of a plane
36) [line 28] הזאה HAZA'AH (PARAH ADUMAH)
(a) The Parah Adumah, an exclusively red-haired cow, is burned on Har ha'Zeisim and its ashes are used for making a person Tahor if he is Tamei Mes. Only a cow that has not had a yoke placed upon it and has had no other work done with it is fit to be used as a Parah Adumah. A place is prepared for its slaughter on Har ha'Zeisim, opposite the gate to the Azarah (the courtyard of the Beis ha'Mikdash). After it is slaughtered, its blood is sprinkled in the direction of the Beis ha'Mikdash seven times. Three objects, a cedar branch, some Ezov branches and a piece of crimson wool, are thrown into the carcass of the cow while it is burning (Bamidbar 19:1-22).
(b) If a person (or utensil) became Tamei through touching Tum'as Mes or being in the same room as a corpse or something that is Metamei b'Ohel, he must wait seven days to become Tahor. On the third and seventh days he must have spring water mixed with the ashes of the Parah Adumah (Mei Chatas) sprinkled on him. A person who is Tahor dips three Ezov branches that have been bound together into the mixture, and sprinkles them on the person who is Tamei. On the seventh day, he immerses in a Mikvah after the mixture is sprinkled on him in order to complete his Taharah (Bamidbar 19:17-19).