14) [line 1] DANIN YACHID MI'YACHID - we learn individual [Korbanos] from individual [Korbanos]
15) [line 3] DANIN MIDI DI'CHESIV BEI SEMICHAH B'GUFEI MI'MIDI DI'CHESIV BEI SEMICHAH B'GUFEI - we learn a topic that contains [a word related to the word] "Semichah" in the body [of the verses that deal with the topic] from another topic that contains [a word related to the word] "Semichah" in the body [of the verses that deal with that topic]
16) [line 6] "VA'YAKREV ES HA'OLAH, VA'YA'ASEHA KA'MISHPAT." - "And he brought the burnt offering near, and he offered it according to the law [of the Olas Nedavah, as specified in Vayikra 1:1-13]." (Vayikra 9:16)
17) [line 9] YADO ... YADO ... YADO - (these three teachings are learned from one word "Yado" -- Vayikra 1:4)
18) [line 12] D'LAV BAR MITZVOS - who is not obligated in [all of the] Mitzvos (see above, entry #8)
19) [line 13] SHELUCHO SHEL ADAM KEMOSO - [the act performed by] the Shali'ach of a person is like [an act performed by the person] himself. (Sources for this law are cited in Kidushin 41.)
20) [line 15] ISHTO DECHE'GUFEI DAMYAH - (lit. one's wife is like his own body) the relationship of a husband and wife is so strong that they are considered a single entity
21) [line 17] "V'SAMACH YADO AL ROSH HA'OLAH, V'NIRTZAH LO L'CHAPER ALAV." - "And he shall press his hand upon the head of the burnt offering, and it (the Korban) shall become acceptable for him, to make atonement for him." (Vayikra 1:4)
22) [line 18] KI HA'DAM HU BA'NEFESH YECHAPER." - "[For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls;] for it is the blood that makes an atonement for the soul." (Vayikra 17:11) - This verse refers to the Avodah of Zerikas ha'Dam, in which the blood of Korbanos was either cast onto the sides of the Mizbe'ach or applied to the sides or the Keranos (horns) of the Mizbe'ach. This was the main service that accomplished the atonement for which HaSh-m commanded that the sacrifices be offered.
23a) [line 19] SHE'IM ASA'AH LI'SEMICHAH SHEYAREI MITZVAH - (lit. if he treated Semichah as the dispensable, inessential remnants of a Mitzvah) if he did not do Semichah
b) [line 20] MA'ALEH ALAV HA'KASUV K'ILU LO CHIPER V'CHIPER - he has not done a Mitzvah Min ha'Muvchar, a choice Mitzvah
24) [line 21] "LI'SENUFAH L'CHAPER" - "[And if he is indigent and he cannot afford all three animals, then he should take one yearling sheep as a Korban Asham] with which to perform Tenufah to atone [for him]" (Vayikra 14:21)
25a) [line 27] TZAVAR - [the front of] the neck, the place where the animal is slaughtered (RASHI)
b) [line 27] GABAYIM - the back of the animal
c) [line 28] CHAZEH - the chest
26) [line 30] D'LO KAI BA'HADEI ROSHO - that is next to the animal's head
27) [line 34] TZEDADIN - the sides of the head of the animal
28a) [line 35] ABA BIRA'AH - an Amora of Eretz Yisrael, for whom an approximate time when he lived is difficult to determine.
b) [line 35] B'REBBI ELIEZER BEN YAKOV - that is, bed'Bei Rebbi Eliezer ben Yakov, of the Beis Midrash of Rebbi Eliezer ben Yakov (RASHI to Eruvin 19a DH bed'Bei)
29) [line 37] MATLIS - a cloth
30) [line 37] MAHU SHE'TACHUTZ? - What is the Halachah with regard to Chatzitzah, i.e. does the cloth cause a Halachic intervention between the hands of the person performing Semichah and the animal, thus invalidating the Semichah?
31) [line 40] "V'SAMACH AHARON ES SHTEI YADAV ..." - "And Aharon shall lean both of his hands ..." (Vayikra 16:21)
32) [line 41] BANAH AV (BINYAN AV)
In the Introduction to the Sifra (the Halachic Midrash to Vayikra), Rebbi Yishmael lists thirteen methods that Chazal use for extracting the Halachah from the verses of the Torah. One of them is called Binyan Av. A Binyan Av (lit. "building through a father" -- father in this sense means a Biblical source), is a rule of Biblical interpretation in which one subject is deemed a prototype in order to apply a Halachah stated in that subject to other comparable subjects.
33) [line 46] LAMAH LI L'MICHTAV YADAV YADAV? - why, then, does the Torah ever need to write the word "Yadav" in any of the places that it is written?
34) [line 47] AKSHI LEI ESRIM V'ARBA YADAV - he asked him about (a) many instances where the word "Yadav" is written (OR HA'YASHAR, cited by YOSEF DA'AS); (b) twenty-four instances of words similar to "Yadav": ten words Yadav and fourteen words Yedeihem (see YOSEF DA'AS, citing RAV MOSHE BETZALEL, son of the SEFAS EMES)
35a) [line 47] "YADAV TEVI'ENAH" - "His (the owner's) hands shall bring it (the portion of the Korban Shelamim that will be offered to HaSh-m)" (Vayikra 7:30)
b) [line 48] "YADAV RAV LO" - "May his hands fight for him" (Devarim 33:7)
c) [line 48] "SIKEL ES YADAV" - "he changed [the normal position of] his hands" (Bereishis 48:14)
36) [line 48] ISHTIK - he was silent
37) [line 48] L'VASAR D'NACH DA'ATEI - after he (Reish Lakish) calmed down
38) [line 50] "VA'YISMOCH ES YADAV ALAV VA'YETZAVEHU ..." - "And he laid his hands upon him and he commanded him ..." (Bamidbar 27:23)
39) [line 52] TENUFAH
Waving portions of certain Korbanos and meal-offerings is called Tenufah; the Kohen, together with the owner of the Korban (when it is not a Korban Tzibur), waves them in all four directions and up and down (RASHI to Menachos 62a DH Molich. TOSFOS to Sukah 37b DH Kedei, ponders whether all Tenufos were done in this fashion, or whether some Tenufos only required lifting and lowering).
40a) [line 53] ECHAD MENIF L'CHOL HA'CHAVERIM - one of the owners performs Tenufah for all of the rest of them
b) [line 53] EIN ECHAD SOMECH L'CHOL HA'CHAVERIM - however, one of the owners is not able to perform Semichah for all of the rest of them, rather, each of the owners must perform Semichah individually
41a) [last line] KORBENOS HA'YACHID - private Korbanos
b) [last line] KORBENOS HA'TZIBUR - public Korbanos
Index to Background
for Maseches Menachos
Homepage for for Maseches Menachos