brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. The Gemara discusses why Mashi'ach has not yet come.
2. The Satan cannot accuse Bnei Yisrael of anything on Yom Kippur.
3. The Mishnah discusses when, each day, the ashes were taken away from the Mizbe'ach.
4. On the three festivals, they would remove the ashes after a third of the night had passed.
5. The Mishnah relates that on every day of the festivals, the Azarah was full of people at "the call of the rooster."
A BIT MORE
1. Eliyahu explained to Rav Yehudah that Mashi'ach has not yet come because many people are still doing serious sins, such as having relations on Yom Kippur. Eliyahu related that Hashem's reaction to this is that the Yetzer ha'Ra is causing people to sin.
2. This is alluded to by the fact that the word "ha'Satan" has the Gematriya of 364. This shows that out of the whole year of 365 days, on one day -- Yom Kippur -- the Satan cannot state negative things about Bnei Yisrael.
3. Normally, this was done at the beginning of the morning. On Yom Kippur, however, this was done at midnight, in order to give the Kohen Gadol time to rest between the many services that he would be performing on Yom Kippur.
4. The festivals were the busiest season for bringing Korbanos. Consequently, there were a lot of ashes on the Mizbe'ach each day of the festival.
5. This was because people used to bring many Korbanos during the festivals, and they wanted to be the first ones to offer their Korbanos after the public Korban Tamid.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Yoma