brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
|AVODAH ZARAH 62 (7 Cheshvan) - Dedicated in honor of the Yahrzeit of ha'Gaon Rav Meir Shapiro, founder of the renowned Yeshivas Chachmei Lublin, representative of the Jewish community in the Polish parliament, and creator of the DAFYOMI STUDY CYCLE (see www.dafyomi.co.il/dafyomi.htm for more biographical details). Dedicated by Mr. and Mrs. Shmuel Kovacs of Ramat Beit Shemesh, Israel. May the great Gaon be a Melitz Yosher for the Kovacs children to grow up with love of Torah and Yir'as Shamayim and succeed in all that they do, and may the Zechus of the great Tzadik stand for Klal Yisrael to merit a complete redemption speedily in our days!|
1. If a Yisrael was hired to do work with Yayin Nesech, the wages he receives for his work are forbidden.
2. Even if a Yisrael was hired to do work with Stam wine of a Nochri, the wages are forbidden.
3. If a Yisrael rented his donkey to transport Yayin Nesech, the wages are forbidden.
4. If a person sells Orlah or Kil'ei ha'Kerem and is Mekadesh a woman with the proceeds, the Kidushin is valid.
5. A person gives his friend money and instructs him to pick produce of Shevi'is for him in exchange for the money. The money attains Kedushas Shevi'is.
6. A person gives money to his friend and instructs him to pick produce of Shevi'is for him. The money may be used for whatever he pleases.
7. If a person transports produce of Shevi'is, his wages attain the Kedushah of Shevi'is.
8. A person may not tell his friend to bring his Ma'aser Sheni to Yerushalayim so that he will be given a portion of the Ma'aser Sheni.
9. A person borrows produce of Shevi'is and repays it with produce after the original produce of Shevi'is was consumed. The repayment does not attain the Kedushah of Shevi'is.
10. A man gives an Esnan to a Zonah prior to or after the Bi'ah. The Esnan may be brought as a Korban.
A BIT MORE
1. Although the wages are permitted Min ha'Torah, the Rabanan penalized the worker by prohibiting his wages because of the severity of Yayin Nesech.
2. If he is given wheat for his wages, he must burn the wheat and bury the ashes in a cemetery.
3. However, if he rented the donkey to the Nochri to ride on, even if the Nochri placed his jug of wine on the donkey, the wages are permitted. The same is true in the case of a Yisrael who was hired to do permitted work for a Nochri. If he was also asked to transport a jug of wine, the wages are permitted.
4. Although one is forbidden to derive benefit from Orlah and Kil'ei ha'Kerem, the proceeds of the sale are permitted Min ha'Torah. Although the Rabanan prohibited benefiting from the proceeds, the decree of the Rabanan does not apply if he was Mekadesh a woman with it.
5. Since he told his friend to pick produce for the money, he is exchanging the money for the produce. Any item which is exchanged for produce of Shevi'is attains the Kedushah of Shevi'is. The money must be spent for food and drink which will be eaten in accordance with the Halachos of produce of Shevi'is.
6. The money is intended as wages for his work. It is not an exchange for the produce of Shevi'is. Therefore, it does not attain the Kedushah of Shevi'is.
7. His wages are prohibited because the Rabanan penalized him for engaging in commerce with produce of Shevi'is The Rabanan did not penalize the wages of a laborer who picked produce of Shevi'is, because a laborer makes very little money, while a person who transports produce of Shevi'is makes a lot of profit.
8. Such a statement implies that he is paying his debt with produce of Ma'aser Sheni, which is forbidden. However, he may tell his friend to bring the produce to eat and drink in Yerushalayim. When they arrive in Yerushalayim, he may give him the produce as a gift.
9. Since the original produce no longer exists, the produce which was used for repayment is not regarded as an exchange for the produce of Shevi'is and does not attain the Kedushah of Shevi'is.
10. Since the Esnan was not given at the time of the Bi'ah, it is not regarded as an exchange for the Bi'ah. It may be brought as a Korban.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Avodah Zarah