brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
& Revach l'Neshamah - http://www.revach.net
1. Rebbi Yochanan states that under certain circumstances, one recites the blessing of "Borei Pri ha'Etz" on olive oil.
2. There is a dispute about what blessing one recites when he eats raw wheat.
3. When a certain opinion rules leniently with regard to Orlah in Eretz Yisrael, the law follows that opinion outside of Eretz Yisrael.
4. Rav Sheshes: One who eats dry pepper recites "Shehakol." Rava: He does not recite a blessing.
5. One recites "Borei Minei Mezonos" on any dish that contains one of the five species of grain for which Eretz Yisrael is praised, when that grain has been processed and elevated to a higher form.
A BIT MORE
1. Olive oil that is consumed alone is harmful to a person's health, and thus no blessing is said for it. When a large quantity of olive oil is mixed with a food (which usually contains only a small amount of olive oil) such that the olive oil becomes the main ingredient of the food, one recites "Borei Pri ha'Etz" on the food. This applies even if he drinks the mixture for curative purposes (such as to heal his sore throat).
2. The argument is whether one makes recites "Borei Pri ha'Adamah" or "Shehakol." Everyone agrees that one does not recite "Borei Minei Mezonos" or "Hamotzi," since those blessings are recited only when the wheat is elevated to a better form.
3. This is because the law of Orlah outside of Eretz Yisrael is only mid'Rabanan, and thus it is appropriate to be lenient.
4. Both opinions maintain that "Borei Pri ha'Adamah" is not recited, because it is not the normal manner to eat such a food. Similarly, Rava rules that if a person swallows dry pepper or ginger (foods that are not normally eaten) on Yom Kippur, he is not liable for Kares (although eating such an item is still forbidden).
5. Which blessing to recite on a food is generally based on its major ingredient. When there is a significant amount of a grain product in a food, the blessing is "Borei Minei Mezonos" even when it is not the primary ingredient.
Next Daf Index to Revach for Maseches Berachos