1) [line 1] KETZUTZEI TEFILIN - Tefilin boxes (the part that contains the parchment)
2) [line 2] KUPOS SHEL ARBA'IM ARBA'IM SE'AH - containers holding forty Se'ah each
3a) [line 5] HA D'REISHA - this [that Rebbi Yanai b'Rebbi Yishmael and the Beraisa maintained that there were 120 Se'ah of Tefilin] refers to head Tefilin [which are larger since they have four compartments for parchment]
b) [line 5] HA D'DAR'A - this [that Rabah bar bar Chanah in the name of Rebbi Yochanan said that there were 40 Se'ah of Tefilin] refers to arm Tefilin [which are smaller since they have only one compartment for parchment]. See also Insights to Sotah 44:3.
4) [line 6] KABIN - see Background to 57:151
5) [line 6] MO'ACH - brain matter [of infants]
6) [line 6] NIMTZE'U AL EVEN ACHAS - were found on one stone [at the time of the destruction of the first Beis ha'Mikdash]
7) [line 8] BAS BAVEL HA'SHEDUDAH, ASHREI SHE'YESHALEM LACH ES GEMULECH SHE'GAMALT LANU. ASHREI SHE'YOCHEZ V'NIPETZ ES OLALAYICH EL HA'SALA." - "O desolate daughter of Babylon, praiseworthy is he who will inflict upon you that which you visited upon us. Praiseworthy is he who will grab and dash your infants against the rock" (Tehilim 137:8-9). This verse describes the ultimate downfall of Bavel, who were the messengers of the destruction of the first Beis ha'Mikdash.
8) [line 10] "BNEI TZIYON HA'YEKARIM, HA'MESULA'IM BA'PAZ -- EICHAH NECHSHEVU L'NIVLEI CHERES, MA'ASEH YEDEI YOTZER." - "The precious children of Zion who are comparable to fine gold -- how were they considered as earthenware pitchers, the handiwork of a potter?" (Eichah 4:2).
9) [line 12] HAVU MECHAPEI B'FIZA - they were covered in [jewelry fashioned from] fine gold (interpreting the word "Mesula'im" as "covered")
10) [line 13] TARTEI MASKELEI ISTIREI PIZA NACHOS B'ALMA - the equivalent of the weight of two Istira coins (equal to a Sela Medinah, 1/8 of a Sela Tzuri) worth of fine gold came down to the world
11) [line 14] HAYU MEGANIN ES HA'PAZ B'YOFYAN - they shamed fine gold with their beauty
12) [line 16] HAVU NAKTEI BELAYUNA D'GUSHPANKA U'MESHAMSHEI ARSAIHU - they would hold [beautifully engraved] forms on signet rings while having marital relations [in the belief that this would result in beautiful children]
13) [line 17] MAISU - they brought
14) [line 17] ASREI B'CHAR'EI D'PURAIHU - they tied them to the legs of their beds
15) [line 18] CHAD L'CHAVREI - one [young boy in such an unfortunate situation] to his friend
16) [line 18] HA HEICHA KESIVA? - where is this [terrible misfortune] written [in the Torah?]
17) [line 19] KAMAH MARCHIKNA MI'DUCHTA PLAN? - how far am I [in my learning] from [reaching] that place (i.e., verse)?
18) [line 20] INGAD; PUSTA U'FALGA - a bit; a page and a half
19) [line 20] IY MATA'I L'GABEI, LO ITZTRICHI LACH - had I reached it, I would not have needed you
20) [line 22] "EINI OLELAH L'NAFSHI MI'KOL BENOS IRI. - "My eye has brought my soul grief due to all the residents of my city" (Eichah 3:51).
21) [line 25] HAYU DOKRIN (OSAN) [OSO] B'CHUTREIHEN - they stabbed [the invading Roman legionnaires] with their sticks
22) [line 25] KERACHUM B'SIFREIHEM V'HITZISUM B'ESH - they wrapped them in their scrolls and lit them on fire
23) [line 27] BEIS HA'ASURIM - prison
24a) [line 27] YEFEI EINAYIM - [with] beautiful eyes
b) [line 27] TOV RO'I - a handsome appearance
c) [line 27] KEVUTZOSAV SEDUROS LO TALTALIM - the locks of his hair fall in curls
25) [line 28] "MI NASAN LI'MSHISAH YAKOV, V'YISRAEL L'VOZEZIM; HALO HASH-M? ZU CHATANU LO, V'LO AVU VI'DRACHAV HALOCH, V'LO SHAM'U B'SORASO." - "Who delivered Yakov to be trampled, and Yisrael to plunderers; was it not Hash-m? [It was] this [that caused it:] we sinned against Him, and they did not desire to go in His ways, and they did not listen to His Torah" (Yeshayah 42:24).
26) [line 30] MUVTECHANI BO SHE'MOREH HORA'AH B'YISRAEL - I am certain that he will become a teacher of Halachah in Yisrael
27) [line 30] HA'AVODAH! - [I hereby swear by] the service [of the Beis ha'Mikdash]!
28) [line 30] ZAZ - move
29) [line 30] AD SHE'EFDENU - until I redeem him
30) [line 33] ADONIM - [Roman] masters
31) [line 33] L'YAMIM - after a time
32) [line 33] NIZDAVGU SHENEIHEM - the two of [the masters] met
33) [line 34] VELADOS - offspring
34) [line 35] KEREN ZAVIS ZEH - this corner
35) [line 36] ALAH AMUD HA'SHACHAR - dawn broke
36) [line 37] GA'U BI'VCHIYAH - they burst into tears
37) [line 37] KONEN - wailed mournfully
38) [line 38] TZOFIN - gazed
39) [line 38] SHIMESH LIFNAI VELI'FNIM - performed the service [of Yom ha'Kipurim (see Background to Yoma 44:2)] in the Kodesh ha'Kodashim (the inner sanctum housing the Aron - Holy Ark). This is implied by "Peni" (inside) "El" (G-d['s house]).
40) [line 39] NIS'ALEL BAH SHABA'I - her captor abused her
41) [line 39] CHALUKIM - cloaks
42) [line 40] MECHU'AR - ugly
43) [line 40] REIKA! - empty one!
44) [line 41] AF AL PI KEN - even so [I wish to see her beauty]
45) [line 41] HIFSHITAH - he divested her
46) [line 41] (KAR'ASAH) [KAR'ASO] - (she) [he] ripped it
47) [line 41] NISPALSHAH BA'EFER - she rolled in the dust
48) [line 42] LO CHASTA - You have not had mercy
49) [line 42] "BAS AMI, CHIGRI SAK V'HISPALSHI VA'EFER; EVEL YACHID ASI LACH MISPED TAMRURIM, KI FIS'OM YAVO HA'SHODED ALEINU." - "Daughter of my people, gird yourself with sackcloth and roll in the dust; mourn as for an only child and make for yourself a most bitter lamentation, for suddenly shall the plunderer come upon us" (Yirmeyahu 6:26).
50) [line 44] KIV'YACHOL - as if it were possible [to say such a thing regarding Hash-m] (RASHI to Megilah 21a)
51) [line 44] "[V'CHAMDU SADOS V'GAZALU, U'VATIM V'NASA'U;] V'ASHKU GEVER U'VEISO, V'ISH V'NACHALASO." - "[And they covet fields and steal them, and houses and they take them;] and they oppress a man and his household, and a person and his portion" (Michah 2:2).
52) [line 45] SHULYA D'NAGAREI HAVAH - he was an apprentice to a carpenter
53) [line 45] LILVOS - to borrow [money]
54) [line 45] SHAGER - send
55) [line 46] ALVENAH - and I will lend her [the money]
56) [line 46] SHAHAH IMAH SHELOSHAH YAMIM - he spent three days with her
57) [line 46] KADAM - [her husband] got up early [on the third day]
58) [line 47] ANI PETARTIHA L'ALTAR - I sent her off immediately
59) [line 49] HIGI'A ZEMANO - the time [to repay the loan] arrived
60) [line 49] L'FOR'O - to repay him
61) [line 49] ASEH IMI - work for me
62) [line 50] HAYU DEMA'OS NOSHROS ME'EINAV - tears were falling from his eyes
63) [line 51] NISCHATEM - was sealed
64) [line 51] SHTEI PESILOS B'NER ECHAD - two wicks in one lamp; this is parable referring to the fact that two men -- her husband and the adulterer -- shared one woman. According to this version, it was immorality, as opposed to oppression, that sealed the fate of Klal Yisrael.
65) [line 51] LO SHANU - we did not learn [that the land purchase of one who first went to the Sikrikon and then to the original owners is void according to the Mishnah Rishonah]
66) [last line] LECH CHAZEK U'KENI (KINYAN CHAZAKAH - Acquisition through a Show of Ownership)
(a) In order to purchase land, one must make a Ma'aseh Kinyan (an action that effects the transfer of an object into one's possession). One way of doing so is to perform a Kinyan Chazakah.
(b) An act of Chazakah is any action normally performed by the owner of a field. Examples include Na'al (locking the door or gate into the property), Gadar (fencing in), Paratz (breaching a fence to create an entrance), and any act done to enhance the value of the land, such as digging in a way that improves it (MISHNAH Bava Basra 42a).
(c) Our Gemara teaches that if the original owner agrees to the purchase of his land by telling the purchaser to "Go, perform an act of Chazakah, and acquire it", then he retains the right to reclaim it in court afterward.
67) [last line] ACHRAYUS - Insurance of a Sale or Debt
(a) "Achrayus" refers to a way of insuring the purchase of land or the repayment of a debt. If Achrayus is offered, then if the land must be returned (due to that which it was stolen or had had a previous lien upon it, for example) or if the borrower lacks money to repay his dept, the purchaser or lender has the right to collect all (other) land that had been in the possession of the seller or borrower at the time that the bill of sale or debt was written. In such a case the property of the seller or borrower is "Meshubad" to the purchaser or lender from the time that the document was written. If the document does not offer Achrayus, then the purchaser or lender loses his investment (Bava Basra 44b).
D.A.F. Home Page
See the Daf
|Sponsorships & Donations
Mailing Lists Archives Ask the Kollel
Dafyomi Weblinks Dafyomi Calendar
Hear the Daf