BACKGROUND TO THE DAILY DAF
in memory of Reb David ben Aharon Ha'Levi Rosenwald z"l
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
[100a - 19 lines; 100b - 38 lines]
We recommend using the textual changes suggested by the Bach and the marginal notes of the Vilna Shas. This section is devoted to any OTHER important corrections that Acharonim have pointed out in the Gemara, Rashi and Tosfos
 Rashi 100a DH v'Oseres ואוסרת:
The words "v'Ka Salka Daitach... v'Afilu Yesh Bahen" וקא ס''ד ... ואפילו יש בהן need explanation, since even according to the conclusion of the Gemara this statement is true - see ROSH YOSEF. It therefore appears that the words should read "ve'Afilu Yesh Bah," ואפילו יש בה i.e., in the Rotev. Rava indeed rejects this at the conclusion of the Sugya. - MK
 Rashi ibid. DH beshe'Kadam v'Silko בשקדם וסלקו:
The words "v'Silek Rotev, Kodem she'Yiten ha'Acheros" וסלק רוטב, קודם שיתן האחרות need further explanation. Why mention the Rotev at this point? The mention of Rotev is in fact omitted in the Rashi that is printed with the RIF and in the RAN.
It appears that the words "v'Silek Rotev" וסלק רוטב belong on Daf 100b, in Rashi DH "Afilu" אפילו . Rashi should read "Afilu Teima beshe'Lo Kadam v'Silko, v'Silek Rotev"; אפילו תימא בשלא קדם וסלקו, וסלק רוטב i.e., the original Rotev in which the first two pieces were cooked was removed. (These words were added in order to answer the question of Tosfos 100a DH Chatichah) - MK
 Tosfos 100b DH Hevei Min u'Mino v'Davar Acher הוי מין ומינו ודבר אחר:
The words "ba'Chatichah Shel Heter" בחתיכה של היתר
should be "ba'Chatichos Shel Heter" בחתיכות של היתר (RASHASH)
 Tosfos 100b DH Salek סלק:
The words "u'Mevatlan l'Olam ha'Tzir ..." ומבטלן לעולם הציר
should be "u'Mevatlan, ul'Olam ha'Tzir ..." ומבטלן, ולעולם הציר
1) [line 1] בריה BIRYAH
See Background to the Daf 96:14.
2a) [line 2] כל שדרכו לימנות שנינו / את שדרכו לימנות שנינו KOL SHE'DARKO LIMANOS SHANINU / ES SHE'DARKO LIMANOS
(a) KOL SHE'DARKO LIMANOS - anything that is occasionally counted does not become annulled when mixed into a larger amount, due to its importance.
(b) ES SHE'DARKO LIMANOS - something that is usually counted does not become annulled when mixed into a larger amount, due to its importance. See Charts, and Insights to Yevamos 81:1.
3) [line 5] שאני חתיכה הואיל וראויה להתכבד בה לפני האורחים SHANI CHATICHAH HO'IL U'RE'UYAH L'HISKABED BAH LIFNEI HA'ORCHIM - an entire piece of meat is different; it does not become annulled in a mixture with permitted food because it is fit to be served to guests as a display of honor to them, making it more important (See Insights #1)
4) [line 11] רוטב ROTEV - sauce, gravy
5) [line 11] קיפה KIPA - (O.F. fondrille) dregs, sediment; the sediments of boiled meat and spices at the bottom of a pot
6) [line 13] חתיכה עצמה נעשת נבלה CHATICHAH ATZMAH NA'ASES NEVEILAH - If a piece of meat in a pot absorbs the flavor of a Neveilah, the piece of meat is dealt with as if it, itself, is a piece of Neveilah. If both that meat and the Neveilah were afterwards cooked together with other pieces of meat, in order for the mixture to be permitted to be eaten, the permitted food items must be sixty times as great as both the Neveilah and the other piece of meat.
7) [last line] בשקדם וסלקו BESHE'KADAM V'SILKO - see Girsa Section #2
8) [line 2] כל מין ומינו ודבר אחר, סלק את מינו כמי שאינו ... KOL MIN U'MINO V'DAVAR ACHER, SALEK ES MINO K'MI SHE'EINO... - Even if "Min b'Mino Eino Batel," nevertheless, the she'Eino Mino that is in the pot need not be sixty times greater than the Mino. If it is sixty times greater than the pieces of Isur, the entire contents of the pot are permitted.
9) [line 10] נבלת עוף טמא NIVLAS OF TAMEI - the dead body of a non-Kosher bird
10) [line 11] מטמא בגדים בבית הבליעה METAMEI BEGADIM B'VEIS HA'BELI'AH (NIVLAS OF TAHOR)
(a) Normally, items that are Tamei spread Tum'ah through touching them or carrying them ("Maga" or "Masa"). The only object that is Metamei mid'Oraisa while being eaten is Nivlas Of Tahor (the carcass of a Kosher bird). Nivlas Of Tahor is a kosher bird that died or was killed without Shechitah. (This includes a bird that is unfit to be brought as a Korban upon which Melikah was performed.) It is only Metamei while in the Beis ha'Beli'ah (throat), during the process of being swallowed.
(b) A Nivlas Of Tahor is Metamei the person eating it, as well as any clothes or utensils that he is touching at the time that it is in his throat, giving them the status of "Rishon l'Tum'ah." (Once it is swallowed, the person remains Tamei, but is only Metamei food and drinks, i.e. he is a Rishon l'Tum'ah).
11) [line 21] שליל SHLIL - a fully-formed (having developed for nine months - RASHI to Daf 89b), live animal that is found in its mother's womb after her slaughter
12) [line 25] "[וְ]כָל [בְּהֵמָה מַפְרֶסֶת פַּרְסָה וְשֹׁסַעַת שֶׁסַע שְׁתֵּי פְרָסוֹת, מַעֲלַת גֵּרָה] בַּבְּהֵמָה, [אֹתָהּ] תֹּאכֵלוּ." "[V']CHOL [BEHEMAH MAFRESES PARSAH V'SHOSA'AS SHESA SHTEI FERASOS, MA'ALAS GERAH] BA'BEHEMAH, [OSAH] TOCHELU." - "[And] all [animals whose hooves are split to the point at which they are entirely divided into two hooves, and chew their cud] in [the category of] the [domesticated farm] animals, [those] you shall eat." (Devarim 14:6) - The Gemara interprets the word "ba'Behemah" (lit. "in the animal") to permit a fetus that was found inside its mother after her slaughter (Chulin 69a).
13) [line 28] נזיר NAZIR
See Background to Chulin 98:7.
14) [line 31] נפל שלא נתקשרו אבריו בגידין NEFEL SHE'LO NISKASHRU ERVARAV B'GIDIN - a stillborn fetus, the limbs of which have not developed veins, sinews or nerves
15) [line 34] איסורו נוהג בבני נח ISURO NOHEG B'VNEI NOACH - according to Rebbi Yehudah, Bnei Noach are prohibited to eat the Gid ha'Nasheh (See Insights to Chulin 91:2, 3 and Audio Shi'ur to Chulin 91: Are Bnei Noach Required to Perform Shechitah?)